Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I went out today and bought a bamboo shaft for my smaller tank, after I planted it I was in for a bit of a surprise. I noticed a dot on the bamboo, then after 15 min the dot was somewhere else on the bamboo. So as confused as I was I took a closer look and it turns out to be a very teenie tiny baby snail!
Im afraid to grab it cause I didn't want to crush it. it's kinda just circling its way around the bamboo, luckily spyro has not noticed him and said "food!" Since he is small enough to be eaten.
So now I have a new friend!

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
can you take a picture or maybe describe it so we can figure out what kind it is :) ?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I bet it's a baby mystery snail! My friend brought home some super tiny snail babies on his bamboo, as well, and we didn't even notice them until they were big enough -- they got about the size you're describing about a week later.

If it's from the pet shop, it could be a mystery or nerite snail most likely.

How fun! I myself am totally okay with snails, I have a purple mystery snail, but I am finding my water is bad for them so every day is a learning challenge while I try to take care of everyone.

You may need to invest in some cuttlebone (super cheap, bird section of the pet store, 1.99 - 2.99 for a multipack) to provide your snail buddy calcium to build his shell; you can just grate it into the water so it becomes powdered if you need to add it immediately, or you can break a small chunk off and either stick it in your filter or under some driftwood (it floats until becoming sufficiently waterlogged) and it will dissolve over time. Water acidity and lack of nutrients can both cause snail shell erosion (they start getting pock marks and streaks in their shells and if it continues to progress, holes can form and the shell can deteriorate entirely). Just sharing these things I have learned so you can keep them in mind as your snail buddy grows.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
It probably won't be a nerite snail as they cannot reproduce in freshwater. Could be a mystery snail, pond or bladder snail. or if it has a point to the shell a Malaysian Trumpet Snail. Most people can't stand snails. I love the little guys! Congrats on your unexpected baby!

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
could also be a ramshorn. I adore my ramshorns even if I went from 3 to 40 xD

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is what it looks like:

I just noticed an even tinier one on the leaf of the bamboo. i can't get a photo of that one, but it literally looks like a moving black spec.
They are too small for me to move, but when they get a little larger i will move them into a larger tank. Cause the one they are in now is really entirely too small to house a betta and two snails!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bet it's a baby mystery snail! My friend brought home some super tiny snail babies on his bamboo, as well, and we didn't even notice them until they were big enough -- they got about the size you're describing about a week later.

If it's from the pet shop, it could be a mystery or nerite snail most likely.

How fun! I myself am totally okay with snails, I have a purple mystery snail, but I am finding my water is bad for them so every day is a learning challenge while I try to take care of everyone.

You may need to invest in some cuttlebone (super cheap, bird section of the pet store, 1.99 - 2.99 for a multipack) to provide your snail buddy calcium to build his shell; you can just grate it into the water so it becomes powdered if you need to add it immediately, or you can break a small chunk off and either stick it in your filter or under some driftwood (it floats until becoming sufficiently waterlogged) and it will dissolve over time. Water acidity and lack of nutrients can both cause snail shell erosion (they start getting pock marks and streaks in their shells and if it continues to progress, holes can form and the shell can deteriorate entirely). Just sharing these things I have learned so you can keep them in mind as your snail buddy grows.
Thanks for the advice, I will definitely take it into advice, since I did get a zebra snail for one of my other tanks, my Bastion was trying to scare it, then decided it wasn't a threat :p
I was trying to find more info on them but strangely i couldn't...just got stuck in that weird part of youtube watching a bunch of snail videos.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts