Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my fish for 4 months now, and I never thought he was unhealthy but I'm concerned about his activity level. First, He's in a 10 gal tank all by himself with plenty of decorations, a few moss balls, a few silk plants, indian almond leaf, and a betta hammock. It's filtered and heated and I change ~20% of the water once a week.

So what's concerning me is that he sits on the bottom of the tank a lot. This isn't a new behavior - he's always done it, but I'm not sure if there's something wrong or he's just not an active fish. He'll swim up to the front of the tank if I go by it and has a voracious appetite. No discoloration either, and his fins look great with no signs of fin rot or tail biting. The only other thing is that he never flares, not even in front of a mirror, but I just chalked that up to him being non-aggressive. He's a double tail so I'm not sure if perhaps his fins weigh him down a lot and so he's tired, or if the filter flow might be too strong.

Is there anything to worry about? Or are some bettas just not very active?

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? - 10
Does it have a filter? - yes
Does it have a heater? - yes
What temperature is your tank? - the adjustable heater is set to 78
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? - no

Food:
What food brand do you use? TetraBetta
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? - nope
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? - 1 pellet 2 or 3 times a day

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? - 1x a week
What percentage of water did you change? - ~20%
What is the source of your water? - tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? - vaccum out the substrate every other week
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? - tetra aquasafe

Water Parameters:
not sure

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? - ever since I've had him
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? - not at all, except him marbling
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? - always been like this
Is your Betta still eating? - yes, always hungry!
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? - nope!
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? - nope!
How long have you owned your Betta? - 4 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? - nope!

·
Super Moderator
19,245 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

He's not getting enough to eat. Three or four pellets twice per day would be better. What would be best would be to also switch him to a more nutritious food. I like NorthFin Betta Bites; but also good is Omega One and New Life Spectrum. One advantage of NorthFin is you can buy it in smaller quantities if you only have one Betta.

This is where I buy mine:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NorthFin-Fish-Food-Betta-Bits-Sold-By-Super-Cichlids/222319013411?epid=1241200459&hash=item33c33eee23:m:mDOeyRvJ6CHtUcDxzvAPeAw

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I just ordered the NorthFin food - in the mean time, I'll be feeding him more and hopefully that will make him happier.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thank you! I just ordered the NorthFin food - in the mean time, I'll be feeding him more and hopefully that will make him happier.
I second the Northfin my betta (Kappa) loves it. It's has a lot better ingredients than most other betta food and it's 1mm so most bettas should have no problem eating it and won't cloud or dirty your water from uneaten food. For variety you might want to think about Fluval tropical bug bites Fluval Bug Bites Fish Food Granules for Small Tropical Fish | DrsFosterSmith.com and something I have been having great success with my betta PE pellets Piscine Energetics PE Pellets Freshwater Fish Food - 1mm | Fish Food | DrsFosterSmith.com. Northfin betta bits are definitely a great start though. Hopefully more feeding and better food will help. :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Definitely not and expert but agree with the food situation. Also, you said the adjustable heater is set at 78 degrees. Do you have a thermometer? I only ask because even though my heater is set on 80 in my 10 gallon, it's only 78 according to the thermometer. If yours is set at 78, maybe the temp is lower than that and could possibly be making him sluggish?

Reactions: RussellTheShihTzu

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely not and expert but agree with the food situation. Also, you said the adjustable heater is set at 78 degrees. Do you have a thermometer? I only ask because even though my heater is set on 80 in my 10 gallon, it's only 78 according to the thermometer. If yours is set at 78, maybe the temp is lower than that and could possibly be making him sluggish?
My thermometer broke and it's been a busy finals week so I haven't had a chance to get a new one yet, but when it was working the tank seemed to consistently stay around 78 so I don't think that's the problem, but it's totally possible!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts