Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi. I will keep this post simple, as I think my last one didnt get many replies due to its length... I was rambling a bit. :-|

Housing
What size is your tank?
2.5 gal
What temperature is your tank?
around 78 C
Does your tank have a filter?
no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
no
Is your tank heated?
yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
BettaBites, Omega One betta buffet pellets, and Tetra dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish?
daily 3-4 pellets plus a few times/week a few little pieces of blood worm

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
small WC weekly/every 10-ish days and monthly a large WC
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
weekly: 25-50% monthly: 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
API stress coat+ and API aquarium salt (and Jungle Start Right after 100% WC)

Water Parameters:
N/A, will post after I test it.

Symptoms and Treatment

How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
***colour loss, scales seem to be rubbing off, looks metallic, fins were looking really tattered/torn but seem to be getting better lately. and within past few days developed white spots on his eyes, almost looks like hes got cataracts...his eyes also appear to maybe be a bit swollen/bulging. its hard to say though
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
my only behavioral concern is his thrashing violently and darting around the tank
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
around 2 weeks ago was when I started to get truly concerned about his health
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
no - hesitant to treat until I know what to treat for. Although I do have API Furan 2 and Tetra o Parasite Guard on hand. I have doubled dose of Stress Coat+ and added a bit more salt than I normally would
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
when I got him, I knew he might be sick, as most of the other bettas in the store were sick, dead or dying.
How old is your fish (approximately)?
age unknown, hes been part of my family for approx 2 months

·
Registered
57 Posts
The first thing is your waterchange schedule is way off. in a 2.5 you should be doing at least 2 water changes a week one of 25%-50% and one 100%. If your tank is not constantly staying at a tem of 78 that could also be causeing stress. Do you have a heater? I don't know about the eyes but the darting is probably caused by too much ammonia in the wate and that would also explain the fin tattering (finrot). You could also get API tetracycline at your local petsmart or petco. that is what seems to work the best for me when I have finrot issues.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
This is probably a bacterial infection. In a bath of aquarium water and methylene blue put very tiny amount of Kanamycin and a tiny amount of epsom salt in it. Use a very clean plastic food container and float it in the aquarium to keep the temperature steady and the fish calm. Use a cup to catch the fish not a net.
Roll his food in the anti-biotic and garlic juice and Seachem Focus if you can get it. The Focus helps the medicine stick. Feed about 4 pellets 2x daily I'd suggest feeding one pellet at time to make it gets eaten and doesn't fall to the floor of the tank. I've done both an in aquarium treatments with Kanamycin and baths with fish. The bath I just described has worked well . However, the in aquarium treatment seemed to prolong life but not effect a cure. Giving the medicine via the food is like giving them pills and getting it in the body where it can do the most good. The methylene blue is beneficial for bacterial infections, it can treat fungus and parasites if there are any and it more effectively carries the Kanamycin in the bath into the fish but doesn't over overdo it. The epsom salt should help with the popeye. Also start doing a small water change daily for the duration of treatment. The site below will give you some guidance for baths. It's what I've used for guidance.

http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2009/07/fish-baths.html

I am suggesting the Kanamyacin because of the cloudy eyes and possible bulge which can be a precursor to dropsy if not treated promptly. It's also full spectrum

·
Super Moderator
21,935 Posts
+1 ^

I don't see any dark edges which are indicative of fin rot; just fin biting. With a stressed fish I do not recommend 100% water changes as they can be extremely stressful in themselves. In an unfiltered 2.5 gallon you can do two 25% per week *IF* you use two drops of Seachem Prime per gallon every day to "lock" Ammonia.

Good luck

·
Registered
50 Posts
Has ur fish been rubbing up against things scratching himself? Not sure but I think I read about an external parasite that causes (darting around tank and scratching on things)like ick or velvet.... when they have velvet they will appear goldish or metellic. I would read more about velvet and external parasites. All I know is lights off with velvet, it's a parasite and needs photosynthesis to thrive. Aquirium salt is helpful
fish will also dart around like that when stress is involved like changing there water peramiters and not acclimating them propperly ..hope that's use full, poor guy:( try not to assume it's one particular thing research and diognosis before you treat him

1 - 5 of 5 Posts