Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

A few days ago, I noticed an unusual white spot on Sassy. Something spooked her while she was eating breakfast, and she darted around the tank before hiding in her log. When she finally came out, I noticed a white spot on her left side not very far from her "egg spot." I assumed at first it was scale damage, but after looking at it closer (which was very hard to do, because she absolutely hates my flashlight), it appears to be some sort of growth. It's not fuzzy, and it appears to be growing from underneath her scales, because it is forcing the other scales directly above it to pop out a little. I did a little research and thought it could possibly be lymphocystis, but I'm not entirely sure. Does anyone here know what this could be and/or how to treat it?

Thanks in advance!

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 79-80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra BettaMin flakes and an occasional bloodworm.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25% one week and 50% the next (I just did a 50% change 2 days ago).
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner and pH balance.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? She has a single white spot on her left side near the egg spot.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? She refuses to eat anything besides freeze-dried bloodworms and the brine shrimp that is mixed with her flakes, despite the fact that I have tried to vary her food. She was eating the flakes just fine until she got spooked. Otherwise, she's acting completely normal.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About 3 days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? One year.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much! :) Based on this description, I'm not really sure that it was lymphocystis, because it was more like a single white dot than a cluster of them. It also lengthened by nighttime and when I checked her this morning, I discovered that most of it had fallen out. I think I will continue making regular water changes and feeding her normally (supposing that I can get her to eat her normal food again). Do you think I should also add an immune supplement since whatever this is is pushing up one of her scales?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
No but you can add some AQ salt to prevent infection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts