Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’ve succumbed to my love of wild bettas yet again. There is a semi-local breeder who has a pair of Unimaculata sp. available and I’ll hopefully be picking them up next weekend! The LFS also has a pair but these are a better price and kept in far better conditions. The pair will be in a 29 gallon (since they can reach 6 inches in length!), it’s already cycled but it needs some revamping to make it just right for them… needless to say, I’m over the moon with excitement ☺ And they’re proven breeders so I might have to start up another spawn log thread! 😉

Below is a photo of one of the breeder’s males. They are absolutely stunning & they’re a more outgoing wild species so I can’t wait to watch them beg for food.
Natural environment Organism Fin Fish Underwater

·
Registered
1) 25 litres, Espresso the betta,2) 60 litres with 2 blue rams,3) my cat!
3,482 Posts
Wow stunning fish! I feel like i'm even more excited than you, lol.... looking sooooo much forward for updates!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰 I've a feeling that this thread will become an --wow, how cute bettas!!!-- thread!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, they’re coming home on Sunday! The breeder is 2 hours away so sadly I have to make it a weekend thing. Here’s a photo of the tank, it is a 29 gallon. There’s going to be a bunch of leaf litter, it just hasn’t sunk yet.

Plant Water Organism Terrestrial plant Vegetation

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
OMG! hey're so stunning, and huge!! They're so lucky to have a 29 gallon by theirselves!! And you're so lucky to have them, of course!!🥰🥰 But only 5 photos😁??

·
Registered
Many Platies, 1 Glofish, Many Goldfish and RRM's, Many Shrimp and Snails, 5 Birds.
4,368 Posts
I just found this thread, shame on me lol, but congrats! Seeing all these threads about your wilds just make me so jealous. 😕 :ROFLMAO: Looking forward to updates though!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OMG! hey're so stunning, and huge!! They're so lucky to have a 29 gallon by theirselves!! And you're so lucky to have them, of course!!🥰🥰 But only 5 photos😁??
Good things come to those who wait! 😉 That being said, the male was all colored up this morning and NOTHING could prepare me for how beautiful he is, oh boy!
Water Organism Fin Fish Underwater

Water Organism Underwater Fish Marine biology

And 29 gallons sounds like a lot but these are absolutely massive fish so they need every gallon they can get!

·
Registered
Many Platies, 1 Glofish, Many Goldfish and RRM's, Many Shrimp and Snails, 5 Birds.
4,368 Posts

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I am so jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why must I live in Greece??????????????? I want wilds!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,160 Posts
Really stunning! I hope they bring you much joy and many Minimaculata😍!

According to two friends they are quite robust and eat anything. They‘re also quite docile compared to others, they told me.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hehe, we will see! They seem quite happy & are eating well. The breeder said that the male looks great & that he likely is happy to have his own territory away from his annoying brothers, which makes sense to me. They are pretty docile, they just should be kept in species only set ups because their big mouths put other fish at risk of becoming dinner.
Here are even more photos, this time of the female!
Water Underwater Reptile Fish Fin

Water Underwater Fin Fish Scaled reptile

Water Vertebrate Underwater Fin Organism

They’re such big fish and so beautiful. They’re also very outgoing and friendly, I love them so much.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Organism Fish Gas Terrestrial plant Plant

Water Insect Organism Underwater Fish

Plant Leaf Water Botany Natural environment

I’m loving these fish! I’m considering taking down my 40 gallon community tank so these guys can have the 40– the 29 just doesn’t feel big enough for them.

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Am glad to see members being exposed to the beauty of Wilds. They are, IMO, under-rated and under-appreciated by most of the ornamental Betta world.
Absolutely. I’m getting a bit tired of the many, many different issues unique to domestic bettas so I’m shifting my focus to gouramis & wild species of betta. There are just so many cool species and a lot of them get a bad rap as being delicate but the two species I have are extremely hardy.

I just hope that I can help other people see the interest in them and maybe encourage other people to a find a species that may work for them, especially if they love bettas but are experiencing the fatigue that I am. Or if they want to see bettas’ living together and breeding without risk of severe damage being done to the pair (not applicable to all species, do your research!!).

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
How more cute can they be?????? I'm sorry domestic bettas, but wilds are absolutely the best! What fish do you have in the 40? No reason to ask, just wondering...!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How more cute can they be?????? I'm sorry domestic bettas, but wilds are absolutely the best! What fish do you have in the 40? No reason to ask, just wondering...!
It’s a community set up with with corydoras, a pair of pearl gouramis, & silver tip tetras.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I love these fish! I am going to take down the community tank so these guys can have more space—they aren’t unhappy right now but with their massive size, giving them more space just feels like the right thing to do. I’ll be able to achieve more leaf litter and more hides in the bigger tank too so they’ll be very happy. Unlike my Edith’s, they’ll actually eat pellets which is a nice change. I still feed them a lot of frozen foods (and live foods, I just need more worms at the moment) but it’s nice that they’ll happily eat up whatever I give them.

Photos of them from today.
Vertebrate Organism Terrestrial plant Plant Water

Water Loggerhead sea turtle Reptile Turtle Underwater

Water Vertebrate Plant Organism Fish

1 - 20 of 33 Posts