Betta Fish Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have weekends off so… update time! The community tank is down (rest in peace) and those fish have found good homes so I went ahead and modified the tank for the Unimaculatas! They seem to enjoy the leaf litter so I made sure to add more of that. I also did my best to make more hides out of rock and wood but that is easier said than done when you’re trying to make it for 6 inch fish. Definitely something to said about keeping smaller species 😅

After running around like a chicken without their head, the tank is up and the Unimacs have just moved in!
Water Plant Organism Underwater Aquatic plant

The female wasn’t thrilled about moving but she’s getting settled, the male is all colored up and seems quite happy.
Plant Water Terrestrial plant Fish Grass

I think the 40 gallon seems like a much more appropriate sized tank for the pair, especially with the potential for spawning. Online I’ve seen some places say a tank as little as a 10 is acceptable… I sincerely hope they mean for growing fry up, not adults. Yikes! These are massive, active fish and the thought of one of them shoved into a 10 makes me shudder.

On tonight’s menu, there are live blackworms, the first live feeders I’ve been able to give these guys. I like to think of it as a little reward for them being fished out of their tank and put somewhere unfamiliar. But for now, the lights are off as they get settled.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thank you! They’re really enjoying it, they got to sift through the leaves and look for blackworms. It seemed like they enjoyed it. That and there’s a rock cave I made for them that they love to sit in before they see me. They seem very interested in me and with swim to the front and watch me with their large eyes. I wonder what they think when they see me.

I was thinking and while I don’t want to be that person, I might email the IBC and ask them what data they are basing the 10+ gallons off of because that just feels absurd due to their size and activity level. I just don’t get it. These fish are both huge and active. If they were small OR inactive that would be one thing but they just aren’t. It makes no sense. Hopefully people interested in these fish will see this and aim for a bigger tank 😅

Anyways, enough of me rambling. Here’s a photo of them from yesterday. The female loves to follow the male around and make contact with him every now and then, I think they really enjoy each other’s company. It’s very sweet.
Vertebrate Plant Water Organism Terrestrial plant

And here is a photo of them poking their heads out of their cave
Plant Natural environment Terrestrial plant Organism Grass

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
Your pictures are a pleasure!

And I think it‘s fair to forward your concerns about tank size to the IBC.

I think there‘s still a lot to learn about wild species and their minimum requirements. But it‘s always better to recommend conservatively if in doubt IMO.

All recommendations I found here in Germany start at a minimum tank length of 30-40 inches for 2 males and 1 female.
As usually, height is not important.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I am over the moon to say that when I came home from work this morning, I discovered fry in the tank! I have no idea how many there are due to the large size of the tank & the way it is decorated but time will tell. Woohoo!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
Ahh - that‘s so rewarding and great to experience!

Congratulations on this first spawn☺!

Unbelievable that your male carried the eggs and fry successfully on first attempt!

·
Registered
1) 25 litres, Espresso the betta,2) 60 litres with 2 blue rams,3) my cat!
3,482 Posts
Congrats!! I can't wait to see them growing up! :love:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I have some extremely sad news, the female unimaculata passed away. There was a part of the lid that was the weakest point (near where the canister filter tubing is) and she managed to jump out while I was at work. This is one of my worst nightmares with fish keeping and I thought I had done enough to keep them in but sadly no. I’ll be putting a heavy object over that area to better keep them contained.

This happened a few days ago and it was heart breaking to find her. That is why I haven’t posted on here much but I wanted to let you all know. Everyone else is doing great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this. A couple weeks ago I lost one of my macs while I was on vacation. I think the dog ate it because theres no sign of her at all. I'm on the market for another pair of unimacs, please help me out.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts