Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are my answers to the form at the beginning. Please don't crucify me too hard on a few things that I don't know, just getting into this...

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5 Gallons
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? No
What temperature is your tank? 80 F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Fluval Moss Ball
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? N/A

Food:
What food brand do you use? Micro Floating Betta Pellets
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? N/A
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 2 times a day - 1 pellet each

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? I've only owned the fish for 2 months (bought as an adult), have changed the water once.
What percentage of water did you change? 30%
What is the source of your water? Tap, I use API Stress Coat+ to treat water using the instructions and appropriate measurements.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?Just dip out water and replace.
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? None?

Water Parameters:

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness (GH): N/A
Alkalinity (KH): N/A
I don't have the tools to test for this - although I probably should, huh?

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? I first noticed some discoloration on the scales when I first bought him. The store owner told me he likely bumped himself and those were dead scales.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Over time the mass has gotten bigger and whiter.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? I'm noticing he is more aggressive and yet defensive ('protective' is probably the better word)
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I've put API BettaFix into the tank using the proper instructions and measurements.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 2 Months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Not visibly.

Thank you for any help you can provide. Please see attached pictures for more.
IMG_2897.jpg IMG_2898.jpg IMG_2900.jpg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Here are my answers to the form at the beginning. Please don't crucify me too hard on a few things that I don't know, just getting into this...

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5 Gallons
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? No
What temperature is your tank? 80 F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Fluval Moss Ball
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? N/A

Food:
What food brand do you use? Micro Floating Betta Pellets
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? N/A
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 2 times a day - 1 pellet each

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? I've only owned the fish for 2 months (bought as an adult), have changed the water once.
What percentage of water did you change? 30%
What is the source of your water? Tap, I use API Stress Coat+ to treat water using the instructions and appropriate measurements.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?Just dip out water and replace.
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? None?

Water Parameters:

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness (GH): N/A
Alkalinity (KH): N/A
I don't have the tools to test for this - although I probably should, huh?

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? I first noticed some discoloration on the scales when I first bought him. The store owner told me he likely bumped himself and those were dead scales.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Over time the mass has gotten bigger and whiter.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? I'm noticing he is more aggressive and yet defensive ('protective' is probably the better word)
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I've put API BettaFix into the tank using the proper instructions and measurements.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 2 Months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Not visibly.

Thank you for any help you can provide. Please see attached pictures for more.
View attachment 1021023 View attachment 1021024 View attachment 1021025
Hi there,

To me, it looks like your boy has an abscess (bacterial infection where an injury had been). Usually this is a result of poor water quality. As you are only dipping out the water, his poop and old food would be contaminating the water, likely leading to the infection. The first thing I would do is vacuum out the substrate. Then you want to perform water changes often (every 24-48 hours or so?). Make sure he has a spot to hide while he heals. It is likely it will eventually burst, so it is important that if that happens that you clean the water ASAP. Someone else should be able to tell you what type of antibacterial medication to use to help him heal.

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,509 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Agree 100% with the above.

Is the bump fuzzy or smooth? If smooth, it is most likely a tumor or a cyst. These often resolve on their own by bursting; but sometimes not. There's really no "cure." You can make a strong "tea" of either Indian Almond Leaves or plain Rooibos Tea, add conditioner and pour into his tank. Both have antibacterial and antifungal properties. That way, if the bump opens you will already have something in the water to help him.

I want to assure you that on this Forum it is frowned upon for anyone to shame another member. Offering alternatives to what another member is doing is fine but criticizing without helping just leaves people resentful.

Know that Ammonia and Nitrite are two parameters that can be deadly to fish. You want to keep then a 0 ppm. Most pet stores will test for free if you take in a water sample. Or, when budget permits, buy a liquid API Master Test Kit. They may seem like more than strips but for about the same price you get 800 tests vs 25.

Here are some areas where I can make, I hope, useful suggestions.

1. A five gallon should have one 50% or two 25% water changes per week to keep the tank its cleanest.

2. Vacuuming removes more detritus than dipping as detritus often filters down into the substrate and creates dangerous Ammonia. You can buy a vacuum at any pet store or online. Shove the large end into the gravel and vacuum that spot until the water runs clear. Replace water. Wait a couple of hours, move to another spot and repeat. It may take several water changes over a period of hours to completely clean the substrate. The reason you do not want to do a big water changes is you want parameters to change slowly over a period of time; not suddenly drop.

3. While your boy does not look too thin, he does need more food. Twice a day is great but up him to three pellets at each meal. Micro Pellets are an okay food as three of the first five ingredients are some sort of fish. However, when they run out some good alternatives are NorthFin Betta Bits, New Life Spectrum and Omega One.

4. When the weather starts getting colder, get him an adjustable heater. Hydor 50 watt or the Hygger 50 watt. I have not used the Hygger but I do use the Hydor.

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,509 Posts
Several water changes over the next few hours and 25% water changes as maintenance. Then

You can make a strong "tea" of either Indian Almond Leaves or plain Rooibos Tea, add conditioner and pour into his tank. Both have antibacterial and antifungal properties. That way, if the bump opens you will already have something in the water to help him.
Those should get it for now. When you get the siphon/vacuum you can do a deep clean.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You have great advice above... I just wanted to add that he a handsome boy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts