Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find myself wanting to decorate my betta's tank with extremely colorful and unnatural things. I have a couple fake plants and plan to have plenty of hiding spots. Will the unnaturalness stress out my beta or any friends I might get him? (Thinking a couple frogs and a snail.) I've been "in to" fish for about a week so I'm trying to learn as much as possible. So far this is the 10 gallon I'm working on (currently cycling) and the dumb vase he currently lives in.

Attachments

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
They don't know any better. They've never seen the real world. What you like is what they'll like.

May I suggest you get him out of that "dumb vase" as soon as possible. The water in the 10g is warmer, cleaner and safer for him, IF you have not started a fishless cycle with ammonia. Even then, I would replace all of the water with clean water dosed with Prime water conditioner, and slowly cycle the tank with your fish-in.

No reason he should live in a shack when his mansion is sitting right next door.

That log is fine, but they also like floating leaves (real or cloth, any color) to hide in and sleep on.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought doing a fish-in cycle was dangerous to the fish? Or is it less dangerous than the vase he is in? I've been doing a mental pro/con list in my head between the vase or the 10g but its hard because I don't truly understand cycling and the water chemistry yet. I was going to take my tap water, his vase water, and the 10 gallon water to PETsMART tonight to have it tested. I've had the 10g set up since Wednesday night but I got it from a neighbor who last used it a year or so ago. It already had a filter media in it that I kept in it since I haven't been able to get any more. My friend said this was fine because it might already have the good bacteria on it so maybe it would cycle faster.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The fish-in cycle is doable with hardy fish and if you keep up with water changes. However you should think about investing in a liquid test kit, which will be much more accurate than Petsmart's testing (they use test strips). That way you can keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite levels to keep it in safe parameters for the fish. However, do not put an african dwarf frog in an unicycles tank, as they do not have scales and get burned by ammonia much more easily.

·
Registered
59 Posts
In the case the water will get toxic faster than I'm the 10g, at his pt it's almost like you're cycling the vase (a cycle that won't end bc it's tiny and no filter to house good bacteria).

In so far as decor when I recently setup my tank I had the same concern. Most fish can see in color, atleast that's my understanding, so I have to believe that like people some will prefer natural and others won't care. But unless you want to make a complete technicolor wonderland akin to an acid trip in a movie, you're prolly good with most choices available to you for decor.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Is the liquid test kit something they would sell at Walmart? Is it aquarium specific or does it have other uses (so I know what section to look in.)

·
Registered
579 Posts
While it is not the only one on the market, I have found that this one seems to be the most readily accessible..

API Freshwater Master Test Kit

While I have not seen it available at Walmart, I also have not looked for it there (As I typically get my supplies from Petco, PetSmart and the local Mom and Pop). Aquarium Specific in that they make ones that are formulated for Freshwater and ones formulated for Saltwater... I have several Freshwater tanks and only own one kit.. I just make sure to thoroughly rinse and dry the test tubes before switching tanks to avoid contamination...

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you!!! Walmart did not have any liquid test kits so I'll go to PM tomorrow to check for the liquid one. In order to move him from the vase to the tank I will need to let him float in the tank in a bowl and slowly add tank water to the vase water in the bowl? How many times should I add thr tank water?

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Amazon often has the API Freshwater Master Test Kit at a good price.

As for the tank decorations, decorate it however you like! He won't care a bit. Be sure that there are no sharp edges on the decorations, or rough edges on the plants.

Awhile back, I used silk plants to do color themes in my tanks. My guys didn't care a bit. (I made sure to soak the plants overnight before using them, to make sure the dyes/colors wouldn't leach into the water.)

Someone on the forum had different types of glasses (wine glasses, martini glasses, etc) in their tank. So it's all just a matter of what you want. The fish don't care.

Here's a fun article. I was curious to know if fish can see colors, and found this: Do fish see in color?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh glasses is a great idea! Do most people get their plants and ornaments online? I'm not having much luck finding silk plants at the stores here. Though I wonder if I'm just missing them since I don't quite know what I'm looking for. Could plants craft stores work or are these made specifically safe for aquariums. I read about using 100% silicone caulking toofill in crooks and I thought I might be able to cover up shar edges too. Is it standard practice to presoak every plant and ornament?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts