Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I weird for being turned off by unrealistic looking fake plants? I don't know, I like natural more.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean, I love bright colors but not in an aquarium

·
Registered
337 Posts
You're not weird for it. I have the same opinion that an aquarium shouldn't look like a bowl of candy. I love aquariums that simulate a fish's "natural environment" and try to decorate mine as such, but it all comes down to personal taste. Clearly many people favour the neon look, because I have to do all of my fish shopping online!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I love colors, just look at Sammy's tank, I do add the real plants as well, to give more balance..as I have been looking at others tanks, I see a lot of nice setups with all real plants, but it is personal taste, overall..:)

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
While I personally enjoy my own tanks looking very natural (I love live plants/natural scapes) I have really enjoyed some of the more colourful artificially decorated ones in the photo section.

It truly is a matter of personal taste. Daughter's guppy tank is SO bright, but it looks great with the equally bright gupsters zooting around in it. She took great pride in choosing her decorations, especially the pinkish silk plant which was a very nice touch. I don't think it looks 'cheap' at all (and trust me, it ruddy well was NOT cheap, I paid out the nose for that lot!).

·
Registered
151 Posts
To each his own as far as tank set ups go...
but I like very natural looking settings... gravel, live plants, etc... The bright colors are too much for me... I like the Betta to be the focus! Again, to each his own!

However, I do have a Betta named Sparky (not my favorite name) but I asked my 5yr old nephew to name him, so Sparky it was!

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I like tanks that have a natural feel- or at least natural colors. like my tank has a wooden-looking tree house thingy and some barrels, but nothing brightly colored to give it a kiddy feel.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I like color - natural is boring but I am going to set up my 20G with a more natural look and a few live plants. Maybe some driftwood?
I like leafy silk plants but some of my bettas really love those sillicone things:

I do not, however, like unnatural plastic plants - they just look cheesy.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like color - natural is boring but I am going to set up my 20G with a more natural look and a few live plants. Maybe some driftwood?
I like leafy silk plants but some of my bettas really love those sillicone things:

I do not, however, like unnatural plastic plants - they just look cheesy.
o_O I want one

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
When I was a kid I had a 20g with blue gravel, colorful fake coral decoration, and fake plastic plants plus some glow in the dark plastic plants. I thought color was awesome haha. Now that I'm older I try very hard to simulate a natural environment for the fish's benefit and my own aesthetic taste. I've grown to despise anything fake looking in my tanks :D

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Only colorful thing I have in my 29 gallon is reddish looking silk plants.

·
Registered
692 Posts
o_O I want one
Me too! It actually looks very neat. If you're going for a bright colored tank with flashy fish, then they are prefect owo

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
When I was a kid I had a 20g with blue gravel, colorful fake coral decoration, and fake plastic plants plus some glow in the dark plastic plants. I thought color was awesome haha. Now that I'm older I try very hard to simulate a natural environment for the fish's benefit and my own aesthetic taste. I've grown to despise anything fake looking in my tanks :D
I am the same way.. but 16. When I went to get fake plants for my quarantine tank I was so picky because I always use live plants and there would be like bright pink plants. I like to make the fish stand out, plus my eyes never grow tired of looking at a natural looking tank. Just looking at clown like gravel at the store hurts lol.

My advise to everyone, learn to grow live plants lol, all it takes is the right light and plants should do well.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a black thumb when it comes to aquarium plants

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Haha yeah :) When I bought plants for my tank, I didn't research but I did get lucky. I've had them for 1 month and they're all doing great. I've even got baby plants off of them ^.^

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Teeney I am gonna say you have java fern? Most people don't get aquatic plants and then they die so yeah, also plants need correct light to photosynthesize you need a plant specific bulb and they should grow just fine. Research the plant before you buy it!

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Awsome :) I have a few in different colors. Most of my guyes either try and fight with it (which is funny to watch) or they wiggles their way inside of them and just lay in it like they are dead. Freaked me out the first time I seen one do that LOL

If you search Ebay there are a few sellers in asia that offer free shipping and have them for fairly cheap.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts