Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I’m new to this community, so I apologize in advance if I make any errors in posting to appropriate channels.

Somewhat recently I bought a beautiful white opal male, who has been very active, showy, seemingly happy, and eating well.

I’ve been a little concerned about his pectoral fins from the start, however. One is noticeably larger than the other and their edges aren’t very even. He has a bit of black in both and a tiny bit of red in one.

I’ve had many fish, and even sharks, in the past, but it’s been several years, so I’m rusty. I don’t know if the discoloration and size difference are due to fin rot or some other infection or disease, or if it’s from unknown genetics. Other than his pectorals his other fins are all pristine and in wonderful condition!

I have three more gorgeous bettas coming in today that I ordered, and I don’t want anything contagious passed on, as two of the newcomers will be in the large tank with dividers that I just moved my white opal boy into.

If someone with some more experienced eyes wouldn’t mind taking a look and giving me an opinion, I would greatly appreciate it!

-Vim
Plant Vertebrate Flower Botany Nature
Plant Vertebrate Azure Organism Water

Flower Plant Blue Water Flowerpot

*Extra note - I had some tetras living in another section of the divided tank with him for about a week. I moved them to a smaller tank in preparation for the other bettas’ arrivals and they’re all still fine right now

·
Super Moderator
790 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Forum!

From sharks to Bettas - I think that‘s what people call downsizing😀!

Your beautiful boy doesn‘t have fin rot and looks absolutely healthy to me.
His left pectoral might have been nipped and I guess it will regrow at least to a certain extent (you‘ll see clear tissue as a sign). He could also have gotten an injury in his upbringing and the fin won‘t grow any further. In any way it wouldn‘t concern me and is not a disease.

Color and color distribution is not unusal in Whites and not a sign of disease. He might carry the marble genetic and change color in the future (if you want to google - it‘s really interesting).

Usually members posting in this section are asked to fill out an "intake“ form.
As you said you‘re feeling a bit "rusty" you could fill it out as well - just to let members have a look and you feeling safe if you wanted.

BF Diseases&Emergencies Form (copy & paste back here and fill in your answers).

Reactions: Vim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and welcome to the Forum!

From sharks to Bettas - I think that‘s what people call downsizing😀!

Your beautiful boy doesn‘t have fin rot and looks absolutely healthy to me.
His left pectoral might have been nipped and I guess it will regrow at least to a certain extent (you‘ll see clear tissue as a sign). He could also have gotten an injury in his upbringing and the fin won‘t grow any further. In any way it wouldn‘t concern me and is not a disease.

Color and color distribution is not unusal in Whites and not a sign of disease. He might carry the marble genetic and change color in the future (if you want to google - it‘s really interesting).

Usually members posting in this section are asked to fill out an "intake“ form.
As you said you‘re feeling a bit "rusty" you could fill it out as well - just to let members have a look and you feeling safe if you wanted.

BF Diseases&Emergencies Form (copy & paste back here and fill in your answers).
Thank you so much for all your help! I truly appreciate it; you put my mind at ease. I’ve had a bunch of bettas in the past, but I’m definitely rusty. It’s been about 8 years since my last aquatic creature, so I didn’t want to take any chances.

I’ll definitely take a look at that form when I have a little more time to really dedicate to and focus on it! Thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts