Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! My betta started acting lethargic a couple of weeks ago and appears to have large growths on the ends of his fins. To me they appear to be some type of fungus but unsure. He also developed a small white growth on his body and his stomach is sticking out on one side. I started doing 25% daily water changes with a good amount of aquarium salt every day as soon as noticed. I also added an almond leaf into his tank. His lethargy improved right away but the growths were still there. I started adding in a healing probiotic mixture I got at a local aquarium place the last 4 days. The spot on the body appeared to get a little smaller since then but the fin growths seem to be the same. I ordered some Betta Revive medication to start soon but would like some opinions from others that maybe have experienced this before! I can't seem to find anything online that looks like what he has! thank you!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Let me clarify too that I keep him in a 3 gallon tank with a filter and heater. I do a 25% water change and vacuuming of the gravel once weekly and have always added a small amount of AQ salt with each water change just as a preventative. He has a live plant in there with him and some marimo moss balls.

·
Registered
Too many schooling fish/snails to count and 9 bettas
35 Posts
Let me clarify too that I keep him in a 3 gallon tank with a filter and heater. I do a 25% water change and vacuuming of the gravel once weekly and have always added a small amount of AQ salt with each water change just as a preventative. He has a live plant in there with him and some marimo moss balls.
Could you fill out the entire tank information form?

·
Registered
Too many schooling fish/snails to count and 9 bettas
35 Posts
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
What is the source of your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta?
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How many gallons is your tank? 3
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? approx 27
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? none

Food:
What food brand do you use? Essentials betta food
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried? occasionally freeze-dried bloodworms and also frozen bloodworms occasionally too
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? once daily, between 2-4 pellets daily and sometimes bloodworms a few at a time

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of water did you change? approx 25%
What is the source of your water? tap with conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? vaccum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? used to use a betta specific conditioner but switched to Nutrafin Aqua plus a while ago

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: unsure
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.5-7.5
Hardness (GH):120-180
Alkalinity (KH):80-120 ( was higher before started using more AQ salt and added the almond leaves)

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?few weeks ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?portion of head whitened, small white growth on body, clumps on lower fins that appear fungus like(white greyish), losing some colour in some scales and lump on side of stomach
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? was slightly lethargic before started the AQ treatment
Is your Betta still eating? yes, good appetite
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? AQ salt just finished the 10th day of it so now just using a tiny amount daily. Also Eco monster probiotic treatment on day 5.

Does your Betta have any history of being ill? not that I was aware of
How long have you owned your Betta? just over 1.5 years
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? dont believe so

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? I have him started today in a quarantine tank with Betta revive. Hopefully that will do the job!

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
828 Posts
Hi there! Here are a couple of notes:
-Do you happen to have a pic of the food you are feeding and the ingredients?
-I would up water changes to 25% every 3rd day while he isn't feeling well and 2x weekly 25% as a normal schedule. Make sure you are vacuuming the water.
-What testing kit/strips are you using? Any chance you could get an ammonia reading? Most pet stores test for free

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
-I would up water changes to 25% every 3rd day while he isn't feeling well and 2x weekly 25% as a normal schedule. Make sure you are vacuuming the water.
-What testing kit/strips are you using? Any chance you could get an ammonia reading? Most pet stores test for free
Thanks for responding! I can send a picture of the main pellets I feed yes. I just started using Betta revive medicine on Sunday in a quarantine tank and daily water changes with it. When I move him back though yes I will up the changes to twice weekly thanks :) I use a 5 in one test strip that does KO HO PH NI and NA but not ammonia. I will buy an ammonia test strip right away to test! I always assumed the ammonia was at bay because I do always vaccum up debris weekly but maybe it's not.
Ill send a picture of the food when I'm home!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is the pellets I give regularly
Here are the pellets I normally feed him.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Hi! After looking at the ingredients it looks like that may be a minor issue-the main ingredients are soybean meal, wheat, and poultry by products. I would suggest trying a higher quality food such as Omega One Betta Buffet, Northfin Pellets, Fluval Bug Bites, or New Life Spectrum. Feed 2x daily :) Try the new food and Indian Almond Leaves like someone above said for a week and if that doesn't work we can try something else.

·
Banned
Grim Reaper the Platinum dragon betta
412 Posts
Hi! After looking at the ingredients it looks like that may be a minor issue-the main ingredients are soybean meal, wheat, and poultry by products. I would suggest trying a higher quality food such as Omega One Betta Buffet, Northfin Pellets, Fluval Bug Bites, or New Life Spectrum. Feed 2x daily :) Try the new food and Indian Almond Leaves like someone above said for a week and if that doesn't work we can try something else.
I agree I use spectrum and omega one none have been refused

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thamk you! I used to feed the Omega one brand but for some reason I switched to this one a while back. I will switch back to Omega one asap! I have already started the Betta Revive medicine in a quarantine tank (with an almond leaf in there still) 4 days ago and was thinking to continue with doing so for up to the 7 days maximum as he seems to be doing well with it, swiming around fine and eating well, but he's definitely still sick with something as the fins still look bad and the white patches on his scales too along with a few red spots too the last few days. Do you think continuing the treatment for the 7 days would be a good idea?
After that I will put him back in his home, continuing ongoing with the almond leaves and hopefully with the food change he will be improving!

·
Banned
Grim Reaper the Platinum dragon betta
412 Posts
Thamk you! I used to feed the Omega one brand but for some reason I switched to this one a while back. I will switch back to Omega one asap! I have already started the Betta Revive medicine in a quarantine tank (with an almond leaf in there still) 4 days ago and was thinking to continue with doing so for up to the 7 days maximum as he seems to be doing well with it, swiming around fine and eating well, but he's definitely still sick with something as the fins still look bad and the white patches on his scales too along with a few red spots too the last few days. Do you think continuing the treatment for the 7 days would be a good idea?
After that I will put him back in his home, continuing ongoing with the almond leaves and hopefully with the food change he will be improving!
yes I would continue the treatment

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The fins look like they are starting to improve and so is the white on his side of his face. I finished the 7 days of betta revive in the quarantine tank, and put him back in his home the other day with extra almond leaf and still adding some of the probiotic mixture. I also started the Omega one food the other day so will continue with that and will start x2 weekly water changes.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
I would actually avoid betta fix as it is sorta useless for bumps and anything more than fin rot. I would switch to something such as Kanaplex, EM Erythromycin, or Furan-2. Preferably both Kanaplex and Furan-2 to rule out a bacterial infection.

·
Super Moderator
991 Posts
I would actually avoid betta fix as it is sorta useless for bumps and anything more than fin rot. I would switch to something such as Kanaplex, EM Erythromycin, or Furan-2. Preferably both Kanaplex and Furan-2 to rule out a bacterial infection.
It’s also useless for fin rot, unfortunately it’s all we can get in Canada.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts