Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I had posted a few days back about all my bettas kicking the bucket, and my current blue crowntail appeared to not be doing well.

Well the last few days he seemed to be doing pretty good, in fact last night he seemed to be doing excellent, this morning he seemed very well, was still alive this afternoon when I walked by, no signs of distress. Tonight (9pm) I went to feed him and he was solid gray and dead.

Since he seemed "different" when I "adopted" him off the shelf I'm assuming this has to be a issue with the seller (walmarts stock). I dunno but I'm taking the tank apart tonight to clean it and not sure yet if I'm going to store it or get rid of it or try again. But considering this is my 5th fish within 2 months...I don't think there is much hope of this problem going away.

Anyway just wanted to update everyone and thank them for all their input.

·
Banned
27,608 Posts
I'm so sorry for the loss of your fish. If you're getting them from the same place then it might be the supplier but then again it could be something in your water supply. You are using dechlorinator, aren't yoyu?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks drama, I got a new beta, tried OFLs suggestion of not putting the store cup water in the tank...beta is doing MUCH better then all the others, even made a huge bubble nest! :D I bought my sister a betta (she was with me when I picked my new one out and wanted one too) and he seems to be doing well also. So, I think the bad streak is over with and back to happy healthy bettas (so far) time will tell, the bettas usually died within 7-14 days but so far so good! Its been about 5 days so far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had another post on this site describing the other bettas. I DID wonder if they had that new disease. The thread mentioned they would develop swim bladder issues, turn gray and die suddenly out of the blue, often within 24 hrs (if I remember the article correctly).

My bettas all had that. I went through 5 bettas in 2 months. I would buy one, bring it home and it would be fine for about a week tho no bubble nests, and not much interest in eating. Soon the fish would start acting strange, either very hyper or very lethargic, this would start anywhere from 5-10 days after having the fish. About 1-2 days later the fish would develop swim bladder problems, stop eating completely and then suddenly die within 24-48 hrs of the onset of swim bladder issues. I never saw a gray "streak" like the fish pictured but when I'd find them dead they were a deep charcoal gray, or they would be this color just before death. I know bettas loose their coloring when they die but this was always different.

The last betta I had (mentioned at the start of this article) was a blue crowntail and he was the oddest betta I've ever had, he would often crash into things like he was blind (he didn't appear to have itch or anything) and was scared to death of everything. Towards the end, he started "burying" himself in the rocks and would lay there so long I'd assume he was dead from lack of air sometimes.

Anyway Old Fish Lady suggested not to pour the fish out of the container into the tank which I have always done, so I netted him out instead. SO FAR the new betta has done very very well. However it is just now going on a week, I have noticed his color is darkening slightly and he is no longer making bubble nests but aside from that he seems healthy and happy and eating well, so if he lives past the next 5 days he should make it.

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
Thanks for all the info, Onyx. Are you anywhere near a university or a good vet clinic? If - and I sincerely hope this is NOT the case - any of your future fish die of the same symptoms and turn the same gray, would it be possible for you to take the body to some place that could perform a necropsy? If you can't, that is perfectly understandable.

The gray streak in the fish above is because the disease was in its early stages. By the time the fish died, it too was nearly was covered in that gray. And yes, when fish die, they often seem to "drain" of color as if they've been bleached. But they don't look gray, instead they look pale and white.

I'm so sorry you have lost so many bettas to this disease and I hope your newest guy has a long, long happy life.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sakura8 - No I'm afraid I live in a small town, the nearest university is 2 hrs away. But come to think of it, some of the fish did look white. The fish looked gray with a whitish film all over it. It was the color of like a birds 3rd eyelid when they close their eye.

I hope eventually it is figured out what this disease is. Not sure if my bettas had it or not but if they did its a real pain in the neck. So far my current betta is doing well.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
What is this new disease that you guys are talking about? My old betta died suddenly like you guys are explaining. I though it might of been dropsy but it could have possibly been this because he was fine and then from one day to the next he would not eat then the next day he died. He was not a pale white he was black when I took him out of the tank to bury him

1 - 10 of 10 Posts