Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone!
I noticed a white spot on my betta's back a few months ago, but didn't think much of it because he was a white/blue cellophane betta at the time of purchase. Now looking at him from certain angles I've concluded that the spot doesn't look quite right to me and it I'm growing a bit concerned by its looks...

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
5gal

Does it have a filter?
Yes

Does it have a heater?
Yes

What temperature is your tank?
76-79ºF

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No

Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
No

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Omega One

Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Pellets

Freeze-dried?
Occasionally, but he's not a fan of them lol

How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
2 pellets in the morning 8am
2 in the evening 6pm

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
1 month

What percentage of water did you change?
100%

What is the source of your water?
Tap water from a freshwater lake

Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
Vacuum

What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?
API Stress Coat+
Seachem Prime Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Ammonia: 0 - 0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.6
Hardness (GH): N/A
Alkalinity (KH): N/A

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
2-3 months ago??

How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
A white spot on his back, possibly another near his tail

How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
No, he's a fin nipper, but he's been doing that long before this spot showed up. 😩

Is your Betta still eating?
Yes

Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
I've added a tablespoon of aquarium salt to his tank and a 1/4 of an almond leaf, but because I still don't know what's wrong I haven't medicated him with anything.

Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
No

How long have you owned your Betta?
Just under 2yrs

Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
No

Additional Notes:
The spot is not "cottony" it's white, and it is looks like it's growing underneath his scales? There may be another patch growing near his tail as well. Is this a kind of fungal infection??
I would love any help with diagnosing and treating this little guy!!
His name is Jinbei 💙

IMG_4420.jpeg IMG_4421.jpeg IMG_4425.jpeg IMG_4566.jpeg

·
Registered
7 Posts
it looks like some kind of fungal infection!!! i heard Malachite green is good for helping cure fungal infections :)

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
568 Posts
Hi! It looks like a tumor unfortunately.Could be benign-many fish live very long healthy lives with tumors as actual cancer on a fish is more rare. Best thing to do is do a 15-20% water change weekly and keep him comfortable. IAL and stress coat can help as well. Best of luck!

·
Registered
Mr Garvey, male rose tail; A-aron, male betta, no-name; and male P. Clarkii rayfish
77 Posts
In addition, please try to increase daily feedings in both frequency and quantity.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi! It looks like a tumor unfortunately.Could be benign-many fish live very long healthy lives with tumors as actual cancer on a fish is more rare. Best thing to do is do a 15-20% water change weekly and keep him comfortable. IAL and stress coat can help as well. Best of luck!
Hi there!
Thanks so much for responding to my concerns!

I just took a few more photos of the other white patches, around his tail. They also look very similar and perhaps spreading even... So I don't believe it to be a tumor??

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE:

Ok, so now the white spot on his back has receded and his scales have now turned black as a result. The black scales are actually visible in the last 3 of photos I had posted and even then, the white spot looks like it was beginning to recede at the time.

The second patch near his tail still remains, but I think it's also showing signs of blackening scales.

Are the black scales a sign of healing?? If so what was this? A fungal infection?

Any kind of advice and knowledge would be appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
568 Posts
I'm certainly at a loss as it is very hard to tell if this is a fungal infection or columnaris. Considering you said he acts the same and no behavior change, I am going to assume fungus. I would treat with API Pimafix or Fungus Cure (preferably) :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts