Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Tank is cycled... I ended up not really liking the HC and apparently didn't rinse it enough after the salt dip, which didn't prevent snail eggs.. so I pulled it out - also removed the pond snails... so far no return (though as I pulled them in their young state, I fed them to Notch, he was happy. Should there be more, I'm sure notch will dine.)

I've got a 15" mat of glossostigma coming in.. also going to add Barcopa and some dwarf sag. Still looking for a floating plant (don't want duckweed or salvia).... But all inhabitants are in the tank now - 1 betta, 3 ottos, 2 nerites.. Also got some frozen bloodworms for Notch... good treat.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Wow!! Nice tank.

Isn't that a lot for an 8 gallon - 2 nerites, a betta, and 2 otos?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow!! Nice tank.

Isn't that a lot for an 8 gallon - 2 nerites, a betta, and 2 otos?
Not at all.. http://aqadvisor.com/

You have plenty of aquarium filtration capacity.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 160%.
Recommended water change schedule: 16% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 101%. [Generate Image]

The stocking is just right.. it's a fully cycled tank and I do weekly water changes or at least 25% and that's taking an inch and a half off the dimensions for purposes of substrate. everyone has plenty of swim space and plenty of places to retreat if necessary - Two pieces of driftwood - while you can't see it because it's surrounded in plants, there is a little cave pocket in the middle of the driftwood for retreats.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Good looking tank and betta!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes it comes with a glass lid - I don't like the stock internal filter... I ended up selling that to someone else and getting the Duetto 50. Also, I removed the foam backing as I read reviews that it has come detached after the aquarium has been filled up causing the foam to shoot up and hit the lid potentially knocking it off the tank and causing it to shatter.

The single bag of stratum given in the kit is not enough substrate, and it would be best to get additional substrate to place in the tank...

I love the CO2 kit in the flora, and you can get replacement cartridges from Fluval or I've been told Walmart, but a single cartridge has lasted me about more than a month now.

The light that comes with it is okay for low light plants... but you would need to double up the light for higher light demanding plants.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.