Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone -

I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for some opinions on the tank I have for my halfmoon betta, Finley. He is in a Minibow 2.5 right now but I'm wondering if I should upgrade him to a five? It's just him and I think a few ghost shrimp right now (I woke up one morning to a fat, lethargic betta - guessing he ate a shrimp since he's fine now). He has a few live plants and one silk plant that I'm planning to replace with another live one.

Here is his tank (upside down, don't know how to fix that!):

And this is Finley! :)

Thanks for the help! I've gotten so much great information from here already!!

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'd say with that many live plants, upgrading to a 5 gallon is really a personal preference. If you do upgrade, I'd suggest the Hawkeye 5 gallon one at walmart, which is one of the best value/price options for that capacity tank.

I love the plants you have, I'm just starting to mess around with live plants myself! Do you have a different substrate beneath the gravel?

·
Registered
959 Posts
I think a 2.5 gal is great for one Betta :) One of mine was in a 2 gal Kritter Keeper and it was great! Really easy to maintain.

Although my Halfmoon, Dragonfly, is going in a 5 gal Fluval Chi today. I really think it's all about personal preference ;-)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd say with that many live plants, upgrading to a 5 gallon is really a personal preference. If you do upgrade, I'd suggest the Hawkeye 5 gallon one at walmart, which is one of the best value/price options for that capacity tank.

I love the plants you have, I'm just starting to mess around with live plants myself! Do you have a different substrate beneath the gravel?
I just have the gravel in there right now, but I switched the light that came with the Minibow to a 15watt CFL and I'm going to pick up some Flourish and Excel today. One of the reasons I was thinking of upgrading was to add a better substrate for the plants as well as a terracotta pot and betta log for Finley :) I'd probably add a few ottos too if I upgraded.

The plants are super easy though! They're doing great with the gravel only along with a root tab from API that I stuck in near the sword plant. And Finley just loves swimming around his plants!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
If you only go up to a 5, you can't really add any tank mates. Tank mates aren't suggested in anything less than 10 gallons. However, upgrading is totally up to you. Your boy has a very nice 2.5, but of course he wouldn't mind a 5 either. I'd say if you have the money and want to do it, why not? Lol and then you have an empty 2.5 for another friend...! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts