Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, up until now my 2 year old male betta has been in a 2 gallon tank, but I decided to treat him with a bigger tank so I bought him this 5 gallon tank and it should be arriving today or tomorrow: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5...-with-LED-Lighting-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/17480272
It says it comes with a Mini Might Power Filter, and I was wondering if that will be ok for a betta or if I need to get a different one? I'm just wondering how much current it makes. I can baffle it and see if that works also.
Another question, can I put anything else in the 5 gallon with my betta? I'm going to leave him by himself for a few weeks in it just to see how he likes it, but if all goes good I was wondering if I could get a small bottom feeder or something to go with him.
Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
23,872 Posts
This is from my review on www.walmart.com:

"<snip>the flow, even with the baffle, is a bit too strong for the Bettas but with a 5 gallon tank they can avoid it. However, if you leave the filter where it's intended, using the feeding hole is impossible since it is right in front of the strongest 'current' and so it whirls the floating food in all sorts of directions.<snip>>"

I would recommend using it to see what you think; maybe further baffle. If that doesn't work you could get a different internal filter. www.truaqua.com is offering Betta Fish members 20% off their IF series and the IF201 would work for a five.

If by "bottom feeders" you mean Cories, I would say not because for long-term optimum health they need a minimum of six in their shoal. A five gallon is, IMO, too small for even the dwarf Cories like Pygmy and Habrosus.

Maybe some sort of snail?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice! I will go ahead and try the filter out and see what it's like.

And I'm so excited, the tank just arrived!! I can't wait to set it up tonight and give Moe his new home!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.