Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m scared the water can kill my Betta. I have had a male Betta for a couple months now. He has been inside a 2 gallon tank and I change the water regularly and clean the gravel. Yesterday I decided it’s time to get him a 5 gallon tank so he can have more room to swim. Along with purchasing the 5 gallon tank, I decided to change the gravel color to blue so I bought Aqua Culture gravel in blue. I rinsed them for quite some time to prevent the blue to dye the water in the tank. After cleaning them I put them in the tank and added my water that I left out for a day. The water looks blue on top but in the swimming space between the gravel and top of the water, it looks as if there is a blue tint. I’m scared to put him in the water I take very good care of him he’s my only pet. Please help me I need to get him out of the 2 gallon tank because his behavior may be indicating stress and I don’t want that for him.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That sounds odd to me that the gravel is making the water blue. It is possible that it's just a reflection in the tank? That the lighting and the blue gravel is giving the water a blue cast? Try scooping some water out into a white cup and see if it really is blue.

If it is, I definitely wouldn't use that gravel. I would clean the new tank out and remove that gravel and the blue water. It could be beneficial to re-use the gravel from your existing tank since it probably has a lot of beneficial bacteria on it.

I wouldn't freak out too much about moving him from the 2 gallon. As long as your water is good and you have no ammonia and stable parameters and a good temp, being in there won't kill him abruptly. I would spend the time to get the new setup looking right before I urgently move him. You want to do it right the first time.. you don't want to move the fish a bunch of times. That's even more stressful.

Does he have a heater and filter in the 2 gallon?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts