Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.5 gallon tank with a small halfmoon male and 3 small ghost shrimp..Converting a 10 gallon I had for a tarantula into an aquarium and would like to add fish.. Transferring all from the present tank to the bigger plus of course more gravel and plants and would like to add fish but want bottom swimmers and have no clue what I can get, any suggestions? I was looking at albino cories which are cute but have no clue how many can be put with tank size and what I have already.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Hmmm clean the tank with vinegar and hot water first =D and rinse super well! Only because your transfering the tank back to an aquarium, and don't want contaminants ^^

You could do 3 cories, with the betta, however I am not sure about shrimp and cories. If cories can nom it, they basically will! If you add lots of live plants, silk and fabric plants, silicone plants, it shouldn't be much of a problem I'd say.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks..I doubt I'll do it anytime soon..Still in the planning part of the whole thing..Tank still has a tarantula in it and trying to find him a new home. I do appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
No problem :) Planning first is always good haha. Do you have live plants, or plant to get them? Java fern is so hardy! I got mine from overseas (ebay) and I have like...10 from that one now.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually do, just 2 plants since I have a 2.5..Will get more along with more substrate..I have gravel which I will transfer over and may cover with black sand, not sure yet though. I'm new to all this so need to get a water testing kit to see if my tank has cycled to know if it's even worth transferring the gravel.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
2.5s are so hard to cycle... But it is still worth transfering the gravel over =D it does carry the start of beneficial bacteria.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I will say I find rasbord nippy...not as bad as barbs, mind you. However, you could do about 4 with the betta, if you have enough cover for all of them.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow..ok, last thing I need are nippy fish..When I got my betta his fins were all torn and are growing so I need to make sure nothing is in with him to ruin the healing by nipping at him.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
hmmm if you want, try getting short finned guppies... try aiming for duller colors, or more pastel colors. If your betta is not a menace, he can be with them and they don't tend to be very nippy. I've had a few males with guppies, and only a little bit of chasing from him and that's it. Again, lots of cover is suggested =D

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I would really like is something small mid to lower tank swimmers..I like albino cories but I have gravel and still not sure if going to transfer the gravel or going for sand. Oh I decided to get a petco 6.6 bookshelf..I like that it's shallow and wide instead of a 10 that I have read may sometimes be too high.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Well, with a bookshelf one, especially that size you are best off with just shrimp, with the betta, mainly because of the bioload of other fish.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
The only problem with adding another filter, is there will be more current, which isn't geat for bettas, especially in anything under 10. More fish, less room, which in turn could cause more stress for the betta. I usually only keep shrmp in anything under 10 with a betta, 10 I have guppies, ember tetras, in 20, a lot more of different species.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok..I'll have to rethink this then..May just keep him where he is if I can't really add to a bigger tank, he's comfy where he is. Could just redecorate, starting with switching filter for a sponge.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Sponge filters are awesome lol. Homemade, or assembled!!
Oh another reason I forgot to mention why I'd worry having fish in with a betta under 10 gallons... Most fish are ravonous eaters and the betta may miss out LOL

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That does make sense with the eating thing but now I have a whole mess of sponge filter questions, I've never used one so not sure what type of airpump to get for it or anything lol. Out of the pot into the fire.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I use Tetra Whisper 10-20 :) quiet, and getting an adjustable air valve, will adjust the flow. USE an aquarium sponge NOT a cleaning sponge, or get an actual sponge filter piece (ebay is where I got mine)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.