Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Fathom, Cirrus, Nimbus, Ham, Fluffy (scorpion) and Fuzzy (scorpion)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! Let me start by saying I'm new around here, so apologies in advance if I do anything wrong.

So, my issue lies with my newest rescue betta. She's probably about 1-1.5 years old, and I don't know what she was kept in before she was brought to me, only that she was definitely not kept in adequate conditions. I'm assuming bowl/no filter/no cycle. When she was brought to me, she had apparent fin rot and swim bladder issues.

I provided her with a filter, heater, clean warm water, and put some cycled media into the filter from one of my other tanks. Her fins have regrown and her swim bladder issues mostly receded. . .I say mostly, because it seems like one day she'll be doing perfectly fine, swimming around and being super active, and the next she'll be moderately lethargic and tilting slightly to the side. It's unpredictable.

It happened again today and I panicked, doing two 50% water changes (essentially a tank flush). Now she's in one of her lethargic "moods".

Advice, anyone? She's supposed to be adopted out this weekend, but her condition is so odd. I've never had a betta with such unpredictable patterns before.

Information:
  • 2 gallon hospital tank
  • Filter rated for 3 gallons
  • Cycled media
  • Bare bottom
  • Water changes every two days
  • Heated

·
Registered
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
299 Posts
Hi! Please fill out a form.

·
Registered
Fathom, Cirrus, Nimbus, Ham, Fluffy (scorpion) and Fuzzy (scorpion)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 2g
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78 F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No, the filter serves as the aeration device.
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No tankmates.

Food:
What food brand do you use? Fluval Bug Bites, New Life Spectrum betta pellets
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Both
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Usually 2-3 times a day, a couple pellets/flakes each time, and one day of fasting a week.

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Every 2 days
What percentage of water did you change? 40-50%
What is the source of your water? Tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? It's a bare bottom tank, but I do vacuum.
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Tetra conditioner, no other additives on this tank.

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: ~5
pH: 7.4
Hardness (GH): 180
Alkalinity (KH): No test for this one, but my plants and other bettas are thriving so I assume it's fine.

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? They've been on and off since I got her
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Her coloration has gotten brighter
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? It changes during her "bouts"
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No, I don't use medication unless absolutely necessary
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Yes, rescue betta
How long have you owned your Betta? 3 weeks
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Yes, she was kept in inadequate conditions.

I hope this is helpful, although I've already concluded on my own that she's just going through some residual effects from her time being mistreated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts