4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
How many gallons is your tank? 7.7 gallons
Does it have a filter? Yes, marina i25
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 28 C , 82.4 F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
5 of his own babies , 3 armano shrimp, 6 cherry shrimp

Food:
What food brand do you use? King British
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Tropical flakes (a pinch once daily) and bloodworms (2 every other day) algae pellet (once a week for a treat as he likes it )
Freeze-dried? Yes
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? As above

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 30%
What is the source of your water? Tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? No vacuum as it’s sand and tropica substrate
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Premium nutrition by tropica and tap safe by tetra

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):
I’m really sorry but I don’t have the equipment for exact numbers, I usually use a lovefish testing strip but ran out last week but will have more tomorrow
Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 3/4
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? No physical changes
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He’s lethargic, struggling to swim to surface
Is your Betta still eating? No, as far as I’ve seen.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No because no visible changes to suggest illness , I don’t know what treatment I should give , and I don’t want to kill the other life forms
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 1yr 4 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No
I
Plant Leaf Organism Wood Marine biology

·
Registered
266 Posts
Can you put all the relevant info in this format PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Fill out this form so we can...
it just makes it so much easier for members to quick reference and give more precise advice.

(First red flag I noticed immediately though is you say he's with his kids, but the tank is really too small to be a community tank with a Betta even for a planted one, so even if there's no teritorial picking on the old man thats a lot of little bums putting out ammonia for a tank that size. Betta maybe a small fish, but they're not Chili Rasbora small.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you put all the relevant info in this format PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Fill out this form so we can...
it just makes it so much easier for members to quick reference and give more precise advice.

(First red flag I noticed immediately though is you say he's with his kids, but the tank is really too small to be a community tank with a Betta even for a planted one, so even if there's no teritorial picking on the old man thats a lot of little bums putting out ammonia for a tank that size. Betta maybe a small fish, but they're not Chili Rasbora small.)
thank you for your reply, sorry Im new to this forum, I will edit the post now. The babies are still tiny but they don’t seem to be affected, would the ammonia not affect them?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for your reply, sorry Im new to this forum, I will edit the post now. The babies are still tiny but they don’t seem to be affected, would the ammonia not affect them?

would you recommend doing a water change to help reduce the potential ammonia levels until I can test it tomorrow? We’ve got another tank with his lady beta and a catfish but that’s only 19 litres, should we pop him in thereuntil we can sort a new tank?

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
You don't want to expose healthy fish to one that might be ill so "no" to moving into the female's tank. It would be best to remove him to a hospital tank or leave him in his and get a larger tank and move the babies to that. You'd need to do that, anyway, as your tank is overstocked which can also stress fish.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ah I see Russell beat me to it in answering that follow-up question. Although doing an extra water change all round too is never a bad idea when dealing with a mystery illness as there's always the possibility it's an undiagnosed water quality issue when you are without the means to test them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You don't want to expose healthy fish to one that might be ill so "no" to moving into the female's tank. It would be best to remove him to a hospital tank or leave him in his and get a larger tank and move the babies to that. You'd need to do that, anyway, as your tank is overstocked which can also stress fish.
Hiya Russel,
Thank you for your response, I’m absolutely gutted to say he passed last night/this morning :( I think you were right about the stress as we tested the water this morning and all levels were normal, including ammonia which we were surprised about, so process of elimination does suggest it was stress :(
we will never make this mistake again, and will stay on this forum as you and everyone else has much better info than google does!
thank you everyone,
RIP Steve 😓

·
Super Moderator
789 Posts
Sad to read this, Maevin. I was following your thread but could’ve by no means added anything not already been said.

I find it great nevertheless that you accept your mistake and can go forward therefore to do it better and to never stop learning.

May your beautiful boy swim in peace😢.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hiya Russel,
Thank you for your response, I’m absolutely gutted to say he passed last night/this morning :( I think you were right about the stress as we tested the water this morning and all levels were normal, including ammonia which we were surprised about, so process of elimination does suggest it was stress :(
we will never make this mistake again, and will stay on this forum as you and everyone else has much better info than google does!
thank you everyone,
RIP Steve 😓
I'm so sorry to hear your fishy friend passed, that's always sad. Feanor is absolutely right, I think it's wonderful that you realized you made a mistake and want to learn more here :) Welcome!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Tis a shame he was a beautiful lad, I'm so sorry to hear that Maevin. If it's any consolation though, now you found the cause you can avoid a repeat.
Wishing you all the best moving forwards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.