Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first time posting on this site and I actually made this account because of the problem I had today. I just came home from college and one of my two bettas didn't handle the trip very well, he is stressed and hasn't eaten in 8 days now. I thought that part of the reason was because he was in a temporary tupperware container since I am building his new tank, so I moved him yo my 75 gallon tank just for the next few days. I thought he would be the most aggressive fish in there and be fine, but within 15 minutes I came by and he was floating around with the current on the bottom with about 2/3rds of his fins torn off.

He is barely able to stay horizontal now and acting very lethargic. I thought he wasn't going to make it, but he is still fighting after 12 hours. I feel awful about what happened, but I am not sure what to do to try and help him. I went ahead and attached a picture of him, just in case it can help. If anybody knows what to so I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much for reading.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
D: That poor thing. What kind of fish were in the tank, if I might ask?

He's likely in a bit of shock and going to be stressed and the like for a while. With this, I believe daily water changes (depending on where he's at) and being kept in a warmer environment is suggested with a few days of AQ salt for treatment to sterilize the wounds. Keep an eye on them and if they get worse/grow a black edging/become bloodier, etc, then he's likely to have gotten fin rot. With how short and shredded his fins are, it wouldn't take long for it to become body rot and-yeah.

tl;dr: Warm, clean water with some AQ salt should help. Keep his tank dark as well to help minimize stress. He should recover, unless the shock of it all gets to him. Just keep an eye on him.

Edit: Just noticed the black ends on his fins. Those worry me but I'm not the expert in injuries so it could be dead fin pieces still hanging on or something else.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
But usually for bouancy issues, epsom salts are the way to go. He looks a little bloated, which could contribute to not being able to stay upright. Stress from sudden temperature changes, sudden environment changes and sudden water type changes (your water at college is different than the water used at home) can cause illness and swim bladder issues. Also, another thing to consider is the type of container he was in, was it ever washed with soap? If so, that could be part of his problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts