Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beautiful 2 year old Jasper looks very ill and I am in need of help. He is eating ok but is not as active as usual. He is an electric blue colour. He began to get a couple of small bumps on his tail fin. Now his tail fin is turning white and looks sore :-(
My uncle has fish and is good with them. He has checked water and all balances are good. However he knows little about Bettas so is unsure about Jasper's fin. I love him very much and want him to be better so would appreciate any help I can get. I can't post a photo as it won't let me on my iPhone.
I have read about treating with aquarium salt... Would anyone recommend this?
I also think it's worth mentioning that I had to do a big clean on the tank yesterday as there were tiny white worm looking things in the tank. I have recently purchased live plants and I think they have come from that. I also saw Jasper eat one today after the tank clean! I can't get rid of the pesky things!
There is nothing in my tank that Jasper would of damaged his fins on either.
Sorry this is long I am just desperate for help. Thank you.:cry:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Please answer as many of these questions from the sticky as you can:

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

You can post photos from an iPhone; I do it often. It will probably be sideways though. Click on 'Go Advanced' next to the 'Post Quick Reply' button, click on the paperclip in the menu above the text box, click 'Choose File,' select the photo, and click 'Upload.' However you can only upload one photo from an iPhone at a time.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
+1. please answer ALL of the questions above.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jasper

5 gallon tank
77 degrees
It has a filter
No air stone but moss balls if they are any help.
Tank has a heater.
No tank mates.

Bio fish food pellets 4 pellets twice a day. Frozen blood worm once every 2 weeks. 1 day fast per week.

25% water change every 2-3 weeks.
Tap safe and stress coat added to new water each time.

Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate-10
PH- 7.4
Hardness- 125
Unsure of alkalinity

Appearance has changed from healthy to my profile photo.
He is not as active as usual.
I have been on holiday for 2 weeks and my sister noticed while I was away so symptoms have been 2 weeks now.
I haven't treated him so far.
He has never been ill before.
He is just under 2 years old.

I added a photo on my profile but will also try on here now too. Thanks for helping.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
To start you are doing way too little water changes.

With a 5 gallon tank I would probably do one or two 50% water changes every week depending on if your tank is cycled or not.

This is your main issues.

Do more water changes - I would up them to at least 2-3 a week until your fish's health improves.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you. I was recommended to do this from my pet shop to avoid disturbing the balance :-(
What do you think it could be on his fins? Is there anything else I can do to help other then more water changes?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also do you think the worms and new live plants could be anything to do with it?

And what percent water change should I do 2-3 times per week

·
Registered
Tao: Butterfly Halfmoon, Ivan: Kitty!, Firefly: TB Horse<3
2,685 Posts
That is all too familiar. I had a CT named Milo that I talk about all the time- half his tail fell off and it turned pale and bumpy as well. It never affected him, and he got it when he turned 2 as well.

It never bothered or affected him in any way. He got killed by Dropsy, his tail had never affected him :/. Rare old age gene? xD I only know of one other member who's had almost the same thing mine had though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your reply Bailmint.
It might well be old age! Poor little thing. It's just so strange as he has always been such a healthy and hardy fishy. Do you think it's worth me trying aquarium salts incase it's something else?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
That's up to you. My boy was healthy and hardy as well, I was depressed he got the whiteness of his tail when he got old but I loved him the same<3. Also-he was the same color as your boy, so that might have something to do with it. I believe it's an age thing, but if you want to try salt go ahead :).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's so interesting that you had the same colour fish as well and the same happened! Maybe its like us going grey with old age!It's making me depressed too, just because I'm worried about him though.

Thanks for your message :)

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Yeah, I never thought much of it since it never affected him. It could be! But it seems to only effect like 1/1000 fish xD...could be a commonancestor? I personally wouldn't worry.

And you're welcome<3

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I have six tanks, four of them are Bettas. And thank you! Me and my Bettas appreciate it!

I have a 2.5 gallon with Magnus, a 2.5 gallon with Avian, a 10 gallon fraternity divided with Igneel, Atlas, and Kano. A 10 gallon divided with Vivian and Juno with room for one more~!

And if you're interested the other two is a reef tank and a goldfish tank. A 75g with a blue hippo tang, yellow tang, 5 silver fish things (I dunno the name), a black clownfish, and an orange clownfish. The other is a 30 gallon with 1 baby Shubunkin goldfish~

Your boy is beautiful as well<3 Always had a special place for blue fishies.

It sucks you don't have any Crowntails near you :c, they're wonderful fish, my favorite Bettas that I've had have always been Crowntails because they just have more personality from what I've seen! If you ever decided to get one you wouldn't regret it ;).

·
Registered
610 Posts
As far as the color changes go, I think it is just old age (even though he isn't all that old) I have heard that as bettas get older they, like our hair, lose their color. Now whether or not that's the case with your Jasper, I'm not 100%, but he may just be getting older and a little more lethargic, losing his color a little, ect. Is there anything else that is wrong with him or is he just loosing color and less active?

My oldest, Iggy, is 4 years old and he is the LAZIEST fish you will ever see. He just lays and loafs all day long in different spots. He is SLOWLY loosing his color too, but he is mainly just SUPER lazy! lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts