Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

I bought my betta in September. He's alone in a 10 gallon aquarium. I change the water every week and everything was perfect until a couple of days ago.

He was just lying near a rock for 2 days and when I checked on him he hadn't eaten at all but most scary part was that his eye was completely swallen.

I bought some parasital medicine that the pet store told me to buy but in 24h he was worse. I went to another shop and have me a natural remedy called Pimafix (with pimenta racemosa). Second day I'm using this but he is just worse. Now a part from the eye his tail is loosing colour, he's just on top of the tank breathing as he can and actually his skin is getting pale.

I've read that the pop-eye can be fixed but it doesn't seem to improve at all.

It seems ridiculous maybe but I can't even look at him because I just feel he is dying and I cannot do anything at all!

Please if someone can give me a hand I'd love it.

Just arrived here a couple of months ago and he is kind of the only thing I have "for sure", I just love him and it breaks my heart to see him like this...

Is it too late? Can I do something else??

Thanks...

·
Registered
3 Posts
tbh the pimafix was a poor choice :/
pimafix is horrible for betta fish as it really messes with their breathing and can actually be fatal in many cases.
I really hope somebody can help you though. Id love to hear a fix for this just in case it happens to my baby.
Goodluck

·
Registered
732 Posts
Firstly, there is a lot of controversy about the fixes and if they can hurt a betta's labyrinth organ. However, I don't think there is any real scientific proof of anything beyond what people say. I know some people who would never use the fixes and some people who use it just fine. Personally, I would be hesitant to use something with so much controversy surrounding it in the first place, but that's just me.

Anyway, back to the original issue, for his popeye I would put Epsom salt in his tank. Make sure it's pure and unscented with no additives. What I do to add salt is to take some water out of the tank and dissolve 1-2tsps of salt per gallon of total water in the tank in that. When it's fully dissolved I pour a little bit back in every 10 to 15 minutes or so. If his popeye is really bad, then a medication like API General Cure would be a good idea as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Firstly, there is a lot of controversy about the fixes and if they can hurt a betta's labyrinth organ. However, I don't think there is any real scientific proof of anything beyond what people say. I know some people who would never use the fixes and some people who use it just fine. Personally, I would be hesitant to use something with so much controversy surrounding it in the first place, but that's just me.

Anyway, back to the original issue, for his popeye I would put Epsom salt in his tank. Make sure it's pure and unscented with no additives. What I do to add salt is to take some water out of the tank and dissolve 1-2tsps of salt per gallon of total water in the tank in that. When it's fully dissolved I pour a little bit back in every 10 to 15 minutes or so. If his popeye is really bad, then a medication like API General Cure would be a good idea as well.
I didn't know that about this product! This morning when I woke up he is just worse. Now his face has little white dots. I will buy the salt as I think this product is not helping at all. Damn it. Thanks a lot!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts