Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Raphael (white/red betta), Vincent (blue/yellow betta), The Pandas (cories), Baby (juvinile bnp)
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried other forums and got no answers and I really am worried sick. One of my bettas (my first fish ever) has something wrong with him and I don't know what it is. I'll try give as much info as I can so please please bear with me.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 15
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? usually 25C but it has been fluctuating down to 24C and now up to 26C
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? 6 panda cories, 2 nerites and a temporary bristlenose pleco

Food:
What food brand do you use? Hikari and fluval
Do you feed flakes or pellets? i feed my betta floating hikari pellets but he sometimes goes after the bug bites i feed my cories
Freeze-dried? no
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 3 pellets every day except saturdays

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? every week
What percentage of water did you change? 30%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? vac every 2nd week
What additives do you use? only seachem prime for conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm due to floating plants (5ppm before i added and theyve been in tank for months with this reading)
pH: 6.8
Hardness (GH): 8d
Alkalinity (KH): 6d

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 5 days ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? no
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? yes
Is your Betta still eating? yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? so far ive fasted him for 2 days but dont even know if thats the correct path i should be taking this
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? no
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? over 3 months now and has been very healthy until now

A little more detail:

5 or 6 days ago, it got cold here in the UK and my temp dropped from their usual 25.5C to around 24.6C or something. It took the entire day for the water to heat back to 25.5 and the next day the same happened again. I noticed Raph getting a little stressed looking so tried my best to regulate the temp. I havent really fully managed as i cant keep it stable. its been going up points within the 25 range for a few days now but tonight its shot to 26C. I cant possibly keep on monitoring it, especially not at the moment. I turned the tank lights off for 2 entire days plus added indian almond leaves to try and help his stress but nothing has changed.

His behaviour is entirely different. He is usually very curious about me and what im doing in the tank. He's very used to me and doesnt mind swimming about my hand etc. He eats fine and gets on incredibly well with the cories, he likes to float by them and try to pick bug bites off the substrate. They arent scared of him at all.

His current behaviour has him lying on the substrate with droopy fins for longer periods of time than he'd usually rest when floating (hes never rested on the substrate, only floats by the cories as mentioned), he swims erratically (ill try post a video) and when he floats at the surface, usually he holds himself upright but currently hes almost floating on his side. He's lost interest in his surroundings and hes now very jumpy and gets frantic and scared when i put my hand in the tank. He hides under wood close to the substrate too which isnt normal for him. I performed a 50% water change 3 days ago and he got very aggrivated and started harassing the cories. No one was hurt thankfully but I watched them all closely for an hour or so before he calmed down again. He hasnt gone after them since.

I thought that on top of stress, his symptoms sounded like swim bladder, but he isnt bloated and i dont know if hes constipated or not if im honest. He has no other physical issues like fin rot or anything.

I cant work out if;

A. hes purely just stressed
B. he has swim bladder
C. he possibly has some kind of parasite? This conclusion is formed from the way he swims mostly.

Ive never had a fish get sick and on top of this my other betta has fin rot :( double whammy. I really really need help with raph, im so scared hes going to die.

please, any help is appreciated. thank you.

Swimming example video

not the clearest i know but thats him on the substrate of course and then him floating on his side :(

·
Super Moderator
22,742 Posts
I can't really see where the temperature changes would cause these symptoms but someone else might have more insight; especially about the parasite. I assume the Cory are acting normally?

Can you get a photo of him from directly above? He should look like this:
FishFromAbove.jpg

If his body is curved or there's definition between his head and body he needs more nutrition. Generally, Betta should be fed 3-4 pellets three times per day. I'd switch both Betta to the the Bug Bites since they have more nutritional value than Hikari.

If you want to post a photo of your other Betta we can try to determine if he's fin biting or does have fin rot.

*As he's in a community tank, just feed the entire community more food so he can hunt for what he needs. I'd be tempted to feed him frozen Bloodworms at least one meal per day as they have more calories.

·
Registered
Raphael (white/red betta), Vincent (blue/yellow betta), The Pandas (cories), Baby (juvinile bnp)
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't really see where the temperature changes would cause these symptoms but someone else might have more insight; especially about the parasite. I assume the Cory are acting normally?

Can you get a photo of him from directly above? He should look like this:
View attachment 1024858

If his body is curved or there's definition between his head and body he needs more nutrition. Generally, Betta should be fed 3-4 pellets three times per day. I'd switch both Betta to the the Bug Bites since they have more nutritional value than Hikari.

If you want to post a photo of your other Betta we can try to determine if he's fin biting or does have fin rot.

*As he's in a community tank, just feed the entire community more food so he can hunt for what he needs. I'd be tempted to feed him frozen Bloodworms at least one meal per day as they have more calories.
Yeah, the cory are all perfectly fine.

I'll try and get you a photo tomorrow as it's almost 4am here. From memory though, I think he does look similar to the picture you added but i'll give proper confirmation tomorrow. I used to feed this particular betta on the bug bites but stopped as they dont tend to stay afloat for very long and he is quite slow usually at taking note of food, however it is worth another try. At the moment I'm feeding the betta with fin rot (Vincent) freeze dried bloodworms (i cant get frozen currently) for all of his meals because i figured it would help. He's far better at taking bug bites too. This betta with the mystery issue (Raphael) wont take the freeze dried bloodworms, however im yet to be able to try him on frozen.

I'll post a photo of Vincent's fins, although I do think it's fin biting. He's alone in the tank as its a 5g and he's a bit aggressive unlike Raph. When I bought him, I did suspect he'd bit his tail as the top section was shorter than the lower and very neat looking, but it's gotten worse since. Currently im just making sure he has clean water, he has an indian almond leaf and im using a fin rot medication. I paid a fair amount for him too, plus i noticed he has a slightly deformed ventral fin but it doesnt seem to bother him.

20201212_180835(1).jpg
This was him a few hours after getting him in the tank. You can see the neat type short fin in line with the middle of his body (sorry im rubbish at anatomy)

20201220_174324.jpg 16086457925481999529912.jpg
These two were him a day ago. There's about 2 weeks between the 1st pic and these two

hope that helps a bit :)

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
828 Posts
Seems like swim bladder. Dose an antibacterial med such as EM erythromycin. Also, freeze dried bloodworms should only be a treat or they can cause constipation and an overweight betta :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems like swim bladder. Dose an antibacterial med such as EM erythromycin. Also, freeze dried bloodworms should only be a treat or they can cause constipation and an overweight betta :)
Are you sure it might be swim bladder? I just felt that he seems to be in control of his swimming. I was most concerned about the lethargy and flashing. Do think that could be something like a parasite? Very small of course because physicslly he looks fine.

Oh and i stopped fully feeding my other betta the bloodworms, i kinda figured it wasnt best so hes having a mix now with the bloodworms only once or twice in the week

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
828 Posts
Are you sure it might be swim bladder? I just felt that he seems to be in control of his swimming. I was most concerned about the lethargy and flashing. Do think that could be something like a parasite? Very small of course because physicslly he looks fine.

Oh and i stopped fully feeding my other betta the bloodworms, i kinda figured it wasnt best so hes having a mix now with the bloodworms only once or twice in the week
Any chance you could get a video?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Any chance you could get a video?
I can do my best, but i am having 2nd thoughts about swim bladder. Based off of the picture @RussellTheShihTzu sent and my 2nd betta, their bodies from above are meant to look a little like a tear drop, however i noticed that Raph has more definition (i wouldnt call them lumps) where his swim bladder is. I'll try to get a picture of this.

20201228_202207.jpg

Its not the photo i wanted but when i open the lid he just freaks out and wont stay still. Hes on his side here and you can sort of see how the swim bladder sticks out. Could it be inflamed or swollen even? He's still eating to date and he isn't constipated, his poop is normal and not white etc. I tried to get a good video but i dont know how much it'll help. I need to upload them to youtube because they're too big to just post so I'll get that link up asap.

Thank you so much for coming to help tho! Im worried at how long this has been going on because i know a lot of cases the quicker you treat something the better.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts