Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys! Okay so I haven't had a betta in a few months (Ish died tragically when a long hair of my mother's fell into the tank and wrapped around his fins and body, suffocating him) but I do have two large goldfish, each 2" long, and a tetra 1" long, and two cleaner snails. The fish have been sitting at the bottom for the last few days, so I checked online and it said there might be an ammonia spike. Immediately I changed out the water by 50%, changed out the filter, and will not be feeding them tomorrow. I don't have an ammonia test kit. Goldfish, like bettas, will sometimes take air manually from the top of the tank, dipping above water. Resting them gently on my hand, I took Sosuke and Ponyo (the goldies) up to the top and let them rest, tipping their mouths above water. They are both sluggish, Sosuke more so than Ponyo. Baby, the tetra, is fine since the watr change and is zipping around the tank. Both snails seem fine.
What should I do?? I'm so scared for them, what can I do to help? Should I get more cleaner fish? Should I move the fish to a clean tank while I clean out the old one (i don't think i should do that, it might kill them)? Please please help me!

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Hi
Yes its most likely ammonia. You need to get a test kit.

How are you treating the water? Seachem Prime is great and will help with ammonia.

How big is the tank?

Tetras should be kept in groups of 6 minimum.

There are no such thing as cleaner snails.

·
Super Moderator
19,439 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Housing: Glass tank with gravel substrate, plus two moss balls and fake coral
How many gallons is your tank? 10
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 75
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? The tetra died within hours of posting. 2 snails

Food: goldfish flakes
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets? flakes
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your goldfish? How much? once a day, light sprinkling

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? once a month
What percentage of water did you change? 50%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? dip out
What additives do you use? none; our well water is charcoal filtered and pure

Water Parameters: no idea
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? yesterday
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? not at all
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? from mildly active to sluggish and resting
Is your Betta still eating? yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? no
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? no
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? about a week and a half

·
Registered
66 Posts
You should test all parameters in your water, not just ammonia.

You also should be doing a water change way more often than once a month. Goldfish produce a lot of waste, they probably are being poisoned by ammonia. Or the general water conditions and cleanliness is very poor.
Also, not sure what kind of goldfish you have, but I believe most if not all can grow to be pretty big, like 6-8 inches. Right now they are 2 inches but they will get bigger. You will need a bigger tank at some point, most likely. In a 10 gallon they won't even be able to turn around when they get to full size.

If ammonia does test high, keep doing water changes every 1-2 days until it clears. For regular maintenance you should be changing the water, about 50%, weekly, then add something to reduce ammonia.

And yes, the tetra needs friends.

I think you might want to invest in some basic tank care supplies: test kits, a vacuum (scooping out the old water does not clean the food and fish waste buried in the gravel), a bottle of beneficial bacteria.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
How many gallons is your tank? 10
That is way to small for goldfish. You need to put them in a bigger tank.
Ideally 20 gallon for the first fish, then 10 gallons for every fish after. 2 gold fish 30 gallon tank.

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
I think you should run an air stone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts