Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on vacation and my dad is caring for my 8 gallon Betta yank while I'm gone. He got me some dwarf hair grass and anubias nana petite, I plan to grow them in a 5g tank that's not set up yet. Temperarly they're in the 8g. The 8t has so much brown algae and I am worried the plants won't survive there. My dad is going yo clean it completely tomorrow and Mpve it where it not get so much sunlight. Also putting a better filter on it. Right now I have them still in the pots in the tank. These are the options
1. Keep in the 8g with the 13W light
2. Put in 65 gallon where lighting isn't very good.
3. Put in 20 gallon with marine land light.

Also do I need to remove it from the pOts? Or should I tie it to some wood. Same with DHG so I need to split it now or can it wait In the pot?

Sorry about so many typos in a hurry.

·
Super Moderator
22,055 Posts
You can wait to do anything. I often leave plants in their pots until I'm sure I know where I want them planted. And floating the Anubias won't hurt it at all. Leaving them in the eight shouldn't be a problem. How long will you be gone?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can wait to do anything. I often leave plants in their pots until I'm sure I know where I want them planted. And floating the Anubias won't hurt it at all. Leaving them in the eight shouldn't be a problem. How long will you be gone?
I'm just worried as it has a lot of algae and this other plant (sorry forgot the name) I think it had rotala or something in its name. It's pretty much brown and ruined.. I thinki it was more medium light. I'll still be gone about 2 and a half weeks. I also need to drive to buffalo to get a light for the 5g I'm setting up, so at most 3 and a half weeks.

The 13W in the 8g is by far the best light I have, and I'm just worried by putting it in any of the other tanks it may die. I'll leave them in the pots then. Is that okay with DHG as well? While I'm gone should someone be dosing some flourish?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leaving in pots is fine. Have fun on your vacation. :thumbsup:
Thanks Russel :) I was wondering if you were to just leave them in clumps would they be okay? I know they're supoosed to be carpet but with my light and only minimal dosing and possibly root tabs I'm not sure if it'll carpet. if i didn't seperate them would it be fine?

·
Registered
413 Posts
When I had dhg I tore them from the piece I got(tissue culture from PS) into individual plants and plants them all over in a .25" grid and they grew great until the algae nation attacked and ruined everything.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it's best to put it separately even if it doesn't spread? I'm getting lots of mixed info. Someone told me right now with out co2 it'll die. How far apart should I plant the small sections and how big?

Also can you buy root tabs in typical petstores?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, you can buy root tabs in regular pet stores. I don't use CO2 or Excel and grow DHG with no issues. I planted mine about .25" apart. There were probably two or three plants in each plug.
Wow awesome! Thanks again Russell :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts