Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So- I returned from a two day vacation to find my female betta, Zirconia, had developed a strange abcess on her body. She is a wild type with a slight blue tinge on her fins. She seems duller in color and personailty then usual. I'm really worried about her. I wish that I could have stayed home- perhaps I could have caught this in time. The main thing is- even though her behavior is stable I do not want her to suffer at all- she is much loved and I have the means to put her down- even though I really hope it doesn't come to that...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Hmmmm.

it looks like half of your body is showing signs of dropsy. I've never seen this before.

I would treat her with 1 teaspoon of epsom salt per gallon. Take a cup or so of water out of her tank and dissolve the salt in that. Then every 15 minutes or so add a little bit of the water back into the tank until all the water has been returned.

You should also treat her with an antibacterial medicine like Seachem Kanaplax

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
The pineconing is technically caused by a buildup of fluid in the body. Dropsy is really just a generic term for swelling. I think it's a good sign that the swelling and pineconing is in the back of the fish rather than closer to her vital organs - it just means that there is a fluid buildup. It doesn't seem like it is organ failure based on the location of the swelling. That being said, if the fluid that's building up is pus from an infection, that's definitely worrisome. I definitely agree to treat with an antibiotic.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I apologize for keeping anyone waiting with the reply- sadly, Zirconia's condition grew much much worse and she had to be euthanized this morning. I wish I could have saved her. I really loved her, she was such a personable, beautiful fish. Thank you very much for the help, I wish there was more I could have done for her- it happened so fast I don't think there was anything I could have done. She could still swim but was very weak and seemed miserable, mostly lying on her on side, and that behavior was so unlike her. I still feel terrible though- wishing I had seen something before I had gone of vacation that would have given me a hint that she was not well.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
SIP Zirconia. My condolences for your loss.

Sometimes there's little or no warning about illness, and there's not much that can be done. At least she did not suffer for very long, and you gave her the best life you could.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SIP Zirconia. My condolences for your loss.

Sometimes there's little or no warning about illness, and there's not much that can be done. At least she did not suffer for very long, and you gave her the best life you could.
Thank you very much- I do miss her a lot- she was my only betta and she was well loved- had a ten gallon all to herself!! She was spoiled... I hope she's enjoying fishy heaven now.:-(

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
It'll make you cry...but you might want to consider...over in the Betta Memorial section, read "Swimming Beneath the Rainbow Bridge." It is fitting and beautiful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts