Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I had just brought my betta back home and did an 100% water change, and I didn't add water conditioner right away because I couldn't find it. I thought that my city water was pretty clean... I've done 100% water changes before and sometimes didn't add conditioner right away, but there has never been a problem.
**I know now that 100% water changes are not healthy for bettas :-(

About 30 minutes later, my fish Socks started darting around the tank very quickly, and it scared me so I turned off the lights so he could get some rest.

20 minutes after turning off the lights, I turned it back on to check and ALL OF A SUDDEN, MY BETTA WAS LIFELESS AT THE TOP OF THE WATER. His fins had greyed significantly and looked grey/tan and definitely duller than his usual bright blue/green/teal.

I immediately took him out and called a friend for some water conditioner and added him to a smaller cup of water in 5 minutes. He was barely moving and only moved if we touched the cup to check on him.

In the next hour, I am continuously checking to make sure he is still moving a little bit and he is currently still alive. It's been about an 1.5 hours since I changed his water.

Is this possibly graphite disease? :crying:
I am so sad that this happened to my betta and I hope he is still alive when I wake up tomorrow morning. If he is, is there anything I can do to help him??

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hello, so i have never done this before because i always treat my water then let it sit for about 45 mintues before changing the tank, but i found a website with a women who's daughter did the same thing.

It says there are a few things that could be going on.

Few questions though, was the water about the same temputure as the tank water? Do you have a heater? Or was it just cold tap water?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The water was warm tap water, but it was a little warmer than the water he was previously in (my betta is usually in room temperature water, but I've never had a problem with it before)

I don't have a heater for him, so thats why I made the water a little warmer when I changed it (no more than a 10 degree difference though)

I'm just really sad because I was actually planning to upgrade his tank, heater, and a small filter and decorations for him :crying:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Alright then he is probably not in shock. What probably happened is the chlorine in the untreated water caused him to act up. What you are going to want to do if this is the case is get him in some treated water. Other than that you have to wait.

·
Registered
93 Posts
He's such a pretty boy though so it would be a shame. Is he currently in treated water?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I hope so too! Next time though try not to put betta's in without conditioner! Keep the thread updated so i can see how he is doing in the morning please!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm not an expert by any means, but it seem like a combination of temperature shock and chlorine poisoning is the most likely factor here. Even a 2 degree difference, if made very quickly, can cause temperature shock, and ordinary tap water can have all kinds of baddies in it without conditioner.

I hope the little guy pulls through.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hi guys,

Thanks for the help!! I woke up and my boy is still alive :') He is sluggish but I hope he survives throughout the day...

However, his pectoral fins look very ragged, kind of like fin rot??
Do you think the chlorine poisoning might've burned at his fins? :(

Also, in the picture, there is something white and fluffy floating in little pieces throughout the water... I noticed it on his body last night but wasn't sure if that was normal or not.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Not sure if that would be fin rot, did it just happen today? If so I would guess it is more like a burn or melt. The white floating in the water could be coming from his fins.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, the "burns" happened overnight.

Do you guys suggest using the "API aquarium salt" or the "API stress coat water conditioner" or both?

Again, thank you everyone for the help and support (-:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi guys,

I just bought and added the API Stress Coat for my betta, but he seems to have gotten worse.

He is now laying at the bottom, gulping for air sometimes. He was able to swim to the top before, but now he struggles to stay upright, and is laying on his side (almost lifeless)

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Sadly it looks like exposure to untreated tap water, with potential shock caused by a rapid shift in water temperature may have been too much for your betta.

At this point it does look like he is probably going to pass away.

If he is struggling to get to the surface, I'd recommend floating him in a shallow container of tank water so that it is much easier for him to breathe. Otherwise, I can't see there is much else to be done.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts