Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I have a few questions about used gear...

So I bought a used 10 gallon fresh water tank from Craigslist that some red-tipped crabs lived in from a guy that had several aquariums that needed some pretty serious cleaning. The tank was moderately dirty but came with a great rock feature, a lid with a lamp, and a filter.

I cleaned the tank with 100% distilled white vinegar and it came out sparkling clean :-D

I soaked the plastic rock feature in about a 50/50% vinegar/water solution for about 12 hours and scrubbed the outside of it really good. The color it was painted when made is a variation of greens and I can't tell what's paint and what's algae (if any).

The filter was disgusting. I threw out the pad and am soaking it as much as possible (it can't be submerged) in 100% vinegar to see if I can get it clean.

Do you think that all this soaking will be enough to protect Bunta from whatever may have been going on in that tank?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am so glad that you didn't say "bleach" anywhere in your cleaning process. Some people think that you can use bleach to clean their tanks. But its very touchy because if you don't rinse it enough the extra chemicals will kill your fish. The filter is probably clean enough, but if you are worried just plan to replace it in a month or six.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Actually bleach is totally safe if you use it correctly- you obviously want to rinse it well but if you let it air dry the bleach will break down into a harmless salt. Or you can overdose on water conditioner, which will take care of it too. I don't like using it on anything porous (Gravel etc), but for the tank itself it's fine.

Vinegar is a good all-purpose cleaner, you can neutralize it with baking soda if you're worried about getting it rinsed clean, but once the smell goes away it's likely fine. As for getting algae off, I suggest some hydrogen peroxide. It'll eat up anything organic, but won't harm the paint or rock itself. You can also see if it breaks through the filter's gunk, it's what I used when my filter gummed up.

Unless the former inhabitants of the tank were sick, there's very little that's actually harmful. Any organic gunk you probably want gone, since it might grow bacteria or mold, but most aquatic diseases are always present in the water anyway, so "disinfecting" is more for your piece of mind than anything else.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I know, but I also know of different people who have killed all of there fish by thinking they were helping clean their tanks. That is what the de-chlorinater's do is take the chlorine out of the water. And normally like you said, people don't know to let it rest without water for any length of time. I just don't like to use chemicals, when a little elbow grease goes a long way.

·
Registered
107 Posts
"Vinegar is a good all-purpose cleaner, you can neutralize it with baking soda if you're worried about getting it rinsed clean, but once the smell goes away it's likely fine. As for getting algae off, I suggest some hydrogen peroxide."
And I agree with all of this also. Just don't like ignorance of bleach, and killing fish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.