Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into purchasing a UV sterilizer for a 5 gallon and 10 gallon aquarium. I really know nothing about them except they can be quite pricey, I know they're not all created equal, and they kill a lot of bad bacteria and parasites (unobtrusive and safe way to keep your fish healthier).

Suggestions? Thoughts? Money is no object. Restrictions are must fit in a standard 5 gallon and 10 gallon rectangular aquariums (aqueon brand but standard size).

·
Registered
76 Posts
My knowledge is based on marine tanks..

In tanks that small couldn't really fix anything that proper tank maintenance wouldn't prevent, because whatever it kills will still be in the water after it goes through the Sterilizer. This includes algae spores, Bacteria (good or bad), and parasites. Which means the the sterilizer will be added more waste into the system. I have seen people with larger tanks use them in Sumps right before the Skimmer so whatever is killed is filtered out instead of sending waste into the tank.

I have never owned on myself so im no expert but thats the arguments i hear on them.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
On Amazon I saw a filter that had a UV sterilizer built in, before the filter part, maybe you could get that? It was $50.

Don't know much about them either so I hope you find out what you need.

·
Registered
76 Posts
On Amazon I saw a filter that had a UV sterilizer built in, before the filter part, maybe you could get that? It was $50.
I wonder if this would kill the bacteria that is stored in the filter. If not it would fix the issue of sending dead material back into a tank.

Edit* here is the name for one if you want to check it out. "AquaTop PFUV-15 Hang-On Filter With UV Sterilization"

·
Registered
326 Posts
I can see using them for a hard to keep fish but, on a Betta is it really needed? By doing just water changes the water stays clean.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a disease that won't respond to anything and its ravaged through 3 bettas so far.. suspecting possible fish tb.. trying to find a new approach to keep my last betta as healthy as possible. Feeling a bit desperate as I got him about 2 weeks ago.. first week he colored up really well and was looking great.. week 2 paler and massive color loss though behavior is still ok. Water quality is not an issue. Food is NLS and not an issue. I do not share anything between tanks but sometimes instruments touch the same surface so that must be how it transferred.. highly contagious obviously. I even had to undergo 5 weeks of antibiotics recently.

·
Banned
137 Posts
i dont think a uv sterilizer will address your problem. really i think they're mostly hype.

you should put your fish in hospital aquariums and sterilize your tanks thoroughly. soak your instruments in bleach water between usage.

sorry your fish died ;[

1 - 9 of 9 Posts