Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to be going to Michigan for a week in the beginning of July and no one is able to watch Jasper for me and I obviously can't take him with me. Will he be okay if I feed him right before we leave and then right when we get back? And clean his tank right before and after as well? I know they can go a few days without food but is 7 too long?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Fish can live for several months without food, so yours will be just fine while you're gone. Hopefully your tank is cycled - that will give you tremendous peace of mid while you are gone.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's actually not cycled, I've been told that due to its size its gonna be hard to cycle, it's a 2.5 gallon I've heard that to cycle it has to be a minimum of 3 gallons. idk. But it isn't cycled. He's used to getting a 90-95% WC once a week and a 25-50% once a week as well.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Size doesn't really matter for cycling, except if you have low pH. It's probably not going to be any more difficult to cycle your tank than what you are currently doing. You should have time for it to complete before you leave, which will ensure that your fish has water with 0 ammonia for the duration of the trip, rather than have the water get increasingly toxic day after day.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/showthread.php?t=392242

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Im not sure I understand your question...

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
No food = less ammonia which then leads to nitrate or nitrite spikes. If there is a gap in between feedings, then whatever cycle there is (a tank always cycles) would be disrupted, no?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
No food = less ammonia which then leads to nitrate or nitrite spikes. If there is a gap in between feedings, then whatever cycle there is (a tank always cycles) would be disrupted, no?

No food means less ammonia - less ammonia means less nitrite and less nitrate.

The bacteria are just like a fish - they can go for a while without food. But just because you skip a feeding doesn't mean that the bacteria will starve - collected waste in the filter media breaks down, continuously feeding the bacteria. The bacteria are dynamic, colonizing, multiplying and dying - always striving to meet the needs of the tank.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Okay, so there won't be a problem with an unfinished cycle?

I'm worried about a spike when the betta is fed again.

No more of a problem than keeping the fish in an unfiltered tank. If they leave before the cycle is finished then they will essentially be in exactly the same spot they are now, and that they would be if they did not cycle the tank. Really though they would be better off because they will have made progress and that progress will not be lost.

If they leave the cycled tank for a week, come back and feed it, the bacteria colony will consume the added ammonia and then nitrite.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts