Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often should the tank be vacuumed? (Mine is 5 gal if it's relevant)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I hit my 5g tanks with the vaccum once a week when i do 25-30% water change and i use a turkey baster probably 2-3 times a week to grab wastes resting on the substrate ( mostly snail poop) before i top off the tank. Hope thats helpful :)

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Do you only have the betta? Any snails or other fish or shrimp? What's your filtraion? I typically do a through substrate vacuum at each water change but I have snails which make a lot of poo over time.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only have one occupant in there. I don't know what my filter is because it came in the MarineLand portrait aquarium kit. I don't know how to vacuum with the siphon, so I'll have to ask my dad to show me. Would a normal turkey baster be fine, or does it have to be some special aquarium one?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Normal works fine, i wouldnt use you kitchen baster though if you can find a 99cent store you can get one for a buck. Just rinse it of when you are done and put it in a safe clean place. AA is a wise and experienced keeper so dont forget to fallow any guide lines and advice given'

1 - 5 of 5 Posts