Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was wondering , i have a vase and its taller than my tank kinda my tank is around 2.5 gall or something so the vase is small but somewhat big enoughf for betta fish , can i put gravel in the bottom of the vase to weitg it down so the vase has a fish and the tank has a fish ? , would that be a good idea , my bettas dont or cant jump so would it be a good idea ?

·
Registered
380 Posts
All bettas can jump, and will given the chance.
I'd say no, because the vase would have to hold at least a gallon to properly hold a betta, then it would also displace a lot of water from the 2.5 gal tank.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok , but im keeping one of my bettas in a jat right know

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i rotate them between the 2.5 gall and the vase everytime ill change the watter , i just gor my newer one so , and trust me , mine dont jump not even for food , but what i dont understannd is how they hide in a clear vase i mean sometimes i cant see them , i turn around and there he is ,and im like WHAAAAAt

·
Registered
336 Posts
I am guilty of this. Until I get a difrent set up I have my female in a vase I just have to do full water changes and clean it ALOT. I dont mind doing it and she is a deap purple color in comparason to how pale she was when I first got her. I dont recomend it openly but its a possibillity.
BUT
i have a ten gallon tank.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yush true u mis/ter person the vase is fine for know

·
Registered
336 Posts
Grrr sorry I am scatter brained at the moment. Sorry, let me explain that better:
my female lives in a vase inside of my male's ten gallon.
she has a pile of rocks at the bottom that she loves to swim through(i had a cave but she ignored it)
i am just a water change Nazi.
Oh and her being in the tank some how stops that weird light refrating of the rounded vase.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes i know what you mean or meant i was just wonderin if its a good idea for meh to do

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
If you are strapped for cash, a big mixing bowl, a plastic storage container or a bucket are all alternatives. However, a Kritter Keeper isn't expensive, from what I hear.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so u can keep a betta in a pop corn bowl , cool , i may try that lol , my popcorn bowls are kinda big so

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ya thats - i know that lol ,anything thats large and hold watter is purty good for tthem , it just needs an open lid

·
Registered
575 Posts
If you keep him in a bowl make sure you have some cover on it (clingfilm/shrink wrap with holes in) or only half fill it. Betta's WILL jump. I didn't think Kyon would just until one day I got distracted halfway through feeding and had my finger an inch above the water with a pellet stuck to it and Mr Impatience jumped to get it off my finger. This is only temporary though, nothing is better than a heated, filtered tank with plants and hiding spots. Not just for health but because they deserve more than just a mixing bowl.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
I really don't believe they could care less if it was a mixing bowl or not, just how much room they get to swim in, their environment and water quality. Us humans tend to care more about seeing them in a mixing bowl, we want to put pretty things in pretty places. Sometimes those pretty places ends up being a 1/8 gallon coffee table centerpiece. But the fish will hate it :D just saying

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ya

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
so i was wondering , i have a vase and its taller than my tank kinda my tank is around 2.5 gall or something so the vase is small but somewhat big enoughf for betta fish , can i put gravel in the bottom of the vase to weitg it down so the vase has a fish and the tank has a fish ? , would that be a good idea , my bettas dont or cant jump so would it be a good idea ?
If the tank is 2.5 Gallons and you stick a vase into it, you will make the 2.5 Gallon tank TINY.

The reason why Spazzfish can do this safely is because she's sticking a vase into a 10 gallon tank, which is fairly enormous, so unless their vase is 9 gallons or something, it won't really make a significant dent in the total tank area.

but what i dont understannd is how they hide in a clear vase i mean sometimes i cant see them , i turn around and there he is ,and im like WHAAAAAt
It's probably the optical effects of the vase when they disappear behind a certain angle in the glass/acrylic

·
Registered
575 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with desplay tanks aslong as they are suitable habitats. I like the keep Kyon in a tank that's been decorated well with clear glass and nice lighting because I want to see him. As long as the tank is big enough, cleaned well, heated and the betta is kept with suitable tank mates (if any) I don't see why you shouldn't have it as a center piece. Don't mean to sound rude or anything.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts