Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I think it would be a nice thing to have a place for crazy vegetablists to hang out. :) We can share recipes, challenges, reasons for becoming vegish, handy tips and tricks etc. :)

I'm really keen to become a vegan because I don't feel I can be ethically honest and still be supporting the conditions in farms and abattoirs. I know that me withdrawing my support alone won't make a difference, but at least I won't be contributing, either.
It's not the killing of animals for food that I mind. For instance, there is a massive rabbit overpopulation problem. My dad is a really good shot, so I have no problem with him quickly and painlessly killing a rabbit, especially since he eats it. I don't mind eating crocodile, emu or kangaroo, since they are also ethically raised and killed. What I do have a problem with are the standards in large commercial farms that mistreat cows, chickens and sheep, and large commercial tuna fishing companies that overfish the oceans and also catch up hundreds of other non-tuna species in their nets. So, those are my reasons for wanting to go vegan (not giving up honey, though, just meat, eggs and dairy).

Unfortunately, I live in a house that doesn't want to go vegan, so my way of doing what I can until I leave home is just to cook a vegan meal for the family once a week. :) This Saturday I'm going to try roast vegetable and couscous salad, followed by cranberry and cinammon poached pears. I'd also like to start making myself some nice vegan breakfasts and lunches, since they are individual meals. :D

So that's my story and meal plans for the immediate future. What are yours? :)

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm an ovo-vegetarian but it's late (actually really, really early), and I'm on my cell, so I'll have to chime in with my story later.

Look forward to hearing from others.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
What's an ovo vegetarian??

I would like to try it, mainly because I need to eat more healthy. I dont eat alot of meat anyways but I like my chicken, tuna, seafood.

·
Registered
631 Posts
@Tikibirds, an ovo-vegetarian is someone who does not eat animal flesh., but does eat eggs.

Personally I'm rather strict in that I don't eat anything if it contains animal broth or gelatin. There are times if I have to take vits/meds that they will have gelatin in the capsule, but I always look for alternatives.

·
Registered
631 Posts
OK, so a new day and I got some sleep. (Yay!)

My story, let me warn you know that it contains references to God and praying:

About 5 years ago I was praying about my health and I clearly heard God instruct me to stop eating meat and reduce mt dairy intake. I asked for verification and when I received it I immediately started eating vegetarian and reduced my dairy intake.

It took me a while to learn to detect the "hidden" animal products in processed food, but I've learned most of the tricks.

Working with my chiropractor, who's also a nutritionist, I eventually learned that I'm actually allergic to dairy, soy, and wheat, so my diet has changed through the years. I'm also allergic to mold, so I need to avoid items like mushrooms, peanuts, and most melons (the way these items are grown lead to higher mold content).

Recently, while praying about adding fish back into my diet, I heard God tell me that I needed to do it, so I'm building up my courage to try it and seeking environmentally sound products.

The reactions I get when I tell people about my diet are fun; usually they are shocked and can't imagine how I survive. :shock:

I proceed to tell them that I can eat all sorts of fruit and veggies, and there are lots of "gluten free" grains such as corn, rice, quinoa, buckwheat, etc. available to me. I eat well!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know! So many people, even the ones who think vegans have nice salads, don't think they eat anything else beyond that! There are so many amazing recipes out there that I can't wait to try. :)

·
Registered
631 Posts
I went on a trip and stayed at a nice hotel. We brought "safe" food options (loaf of gluten free bread, almond butter, fruit preserves, hard boiled eggs) which we used for fast meals, but we frequently ate at the hotel restaurant. I worried about bothering them because our servers always wanted to get the chef to speak to us because of the allergies. The chef told me that they actually loved a challenge, and after cooking so many steaks and regular meat dishes it was often more fun to have a vegetable challenge! Amazing, amazing food.

If you have it available, try to search out "Black Rice" which is a short grain, very, very dark rice. It instantly turns the cooking water a deep purple and it has a wonderful, nutty flavor. I was introduced to rices other than the standard white and brown varieties on my trip.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
I am in a house that is not letting me even try being a vegetarian (very old style family lol). They always say vegetarians need to eat lots of beans (and almost every single veggie meal I find has some form of bean). I have, let's say a sensitive stomach reflex when I eat beans or peas. I love green and yellow beans though. :(
When I'm free of being trapped I would want to try being a flexitarian, only eating meat products once or twice a week. I could honestly never survive without dairy products. But for these things, I want to support a small local farmer instead of a huge corporation that abuses meat animals. To me it seems like a fair compromise :)

I am a huge supporter of the back to basics farming, heirloom veggies and heritage livestock. It's such an important part of history, I wouldn't mind eating a rare piggy if it supports a hobby farmer and the breeds future (buying pork helps the farmer keep breeding the breed).

There are so many terrifying stats about factory farm vs free range hobby farm eggs. You will not find anything in a grocery store comparing to a chicken that gets to go out to pasture.. For one thing grazing chickens eggs have a third of the cholesterol, and much less fat and other nasties. If you have ever compared grazed vs factory farmed eggs side by side, the FF egg yolk looks white. I may get a pic later if you want :D

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I have been an ovo-lacto vegetarian for 10 1/2 years. I completely "cold turkey" stopped eating it on Christmas Day when I was 14 because I saw my mom's arm jammed up the rear of a turkey. I shamefully admit at the time I was influenced by PETA and took part in a few anti-meat protests in my city. I was under false pretenses at the time but it became a habit, I lost weight because I was excluding dangerous processed meats from my diet.
I am actually a fiend for sweets, I could never get used to being vegan. I love cakes, ice creams, chocolates too much! Sure, I tried vegan sweets but they don't cut it for me sadly. When I bake I like to use ethical ingredients though (free-range eggs [which are like 1$ more than factory eggs so I don't get them a lot]). I bake for a couple groups who do bakesales at my school so I usually make vegan treats for those, people love them!

Bomb, you cannot be labelled a "vegan" if you eat honey. By definition they don't eat or use ANYTHING that comes from an animal. That includes honey, wearing leather, wool, or suede and certain make-ups which contain lanolin etc... It's tough.

My province does not have enough resources to be successfully vegan unless you're a millionaire. Most fruits are imported so you pay more. And vendors/restaraunts simply don't offer a large vegetarian menu. There is only 1 restaraunt that caters to vegans in my city. 1.

Keep that in mind!! I don't know what the traditional cuisine is in Australia but vegetarianism is still leading a healthier lifestyle :)

I couldn't be happier. But my bf eats meat. I don't care, we could enjoy more things together if he was a veg but I still love him :)

·
Registered
631 Posts
I think there are differences of opinion about the term "vegan" and they too have different.. levels if you will.

Again with the Wiki reference (don't hate me, it's just easier!) Here's a quote...

"Veganism is the practice of abstaining from the use of animal products. Ethical vegans reject the commodity status of animals and the use of animal products for any purpose, while dietary vegans or strict vegetarians eliminate them from their diet only. Another form, environmental veganism, rejects the use of animal products on the premise that the industrial practice is environmentally damaging and unsustainable."

And this...

"Ethical vegans entirely reject the commodification of animals. The Vegan Society in the UK will only certify a product as vegan if it is free of animal involvement as far as possible and practical.

An animal product is any material derived from animals, including meat, poultry, seafood, eggs, dairy products, honey, fur, leather, wool, and silk. Other commonly used, but perhaps less well known, animal products are beeswax, bone char, bone china, carmine, casein, cochineal, gelatin, isinglass, lanolin, lard, rennet, shellac, tallow, whey, and yellow grease. Many of these may not be identified in the list of ingredients in the finished product. There is disagreement among groups about the extent to which all animal products, particularly products from insects, must be avoided. Neither the Vegan Society nor the American Vegan Society considers the use of honey, silk, or other insect products to be suitable for vegans, while Vegan Action and Vegan Outreach regard that as a matter of personal choice."

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I was a vegetarian for many years, and a strict vegan for a short time - I missed cheese too much...

I come from farming people, and grew up raising animals that we'd kill and eat. I'm not precious about meat-eating when the animals are raised or hunted wild (being Aussie like Bombalurina, I enjoy kangaroo, emu and other native foods), or live clean, healthy lives before they go to the block. Away from the farm, I couldn't stand the thought of eating meat derived from intensive farming practises so gave up meat and eggs.. Later, I went vegan but found it impractical. I wasn't terribly political about it, so resumed dairy and (free range) eggs.

I eat meat now, but still love my veggie food. Meat isn't necessary with every meal, and really it's good to eat as little as possible for health's sake. So I'm happy to share my old recipes here and read up on some new ones.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
My bf and I bought a cookbook for ground beef. We tried several recipes in it, he used beef and I used ground veggie meat! I do not have a scanner to post the recipes but tomorrow I'll look up internet versions of some of the best ones :)
**Also, thanks Sparky!! I didn't realise there were different "levels" of veganism!! haha ^.^

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There we go, I'm going to be an ethical/environmental vegan as opposed to a strict dietary one. :) Thanks for that, Sparky.
I can't wait to get more into cooking (term time barely leaves me enough time and energy to grab a sandwhich). Having some healthy, pre-prepared vegan snacks on hand could be really cool, I think. :)

I'm so glad there are options like Vitasoy Milky - I can't get used to the taste of actual soy milk, and Milky provides a decent compromise.

I think with allergies or intolerances to gluten, dairy etc on the rise, it's getting pretty easy to find good dairy and poultry substitutes for cooking and the like around the local area. We also have a vegan restaurant in the city (and it's not a big city - 333 000, so I think one vegan restaurant is pretty good!). I know the margarine we use is already vegan, since it's olive oil based, and where I can't go totally vegan I'll do what I can by choosing vegetarian options. :)

There's also a local market that sells *actual* free-range, pasture eggs as opposed to "they aren't in cages, therefore they must be free-range" supermarket rubbish. That's always nice. :)

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Yea, that's the thing about "free range" super market eggs. Most of those chickens have a tiny wire pen with a concrete floor they can go to, which legally makes them free range. People will do anything to make it sound more appealing.
I read this report on an agriculture site. Apparently some head of agriculture in the US says that its unnatural for chickens to want to go outside, they hate walking on grass to look for their own food.. Observed this when chickens that had been in a factory farm were given a tiny concrete pen to become "free range". I doubt she knows what a healthy chicken looks like :(

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
There is a taste difference in free range organic eggs too. I love eggs so when we moved in to rent a room in August 2010 the neighbor showed us her 4 pet chickens and asked if we would like eggs, I was ecstatic!
They were definitely dirtier than store bought eggs!! lol But they tasted real. Almost buttery on their own. They were delicious. It is legal in our city to own 3 chickens and I SO want to!!

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Do it! You will be so satisfied :D nothin like eating your own food.
Different breeds lay different amounts of eggs, so consider that when choosing!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts