Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hey all, I'm new to the forums but I've been a vegan for about 3 years now.. I love it. I originally started because I feel it's a healthier way to live and I was an ultra marathon runner. I've since stopped running due to injuries but I stayed vegan. It helps me stay thin and feeling great. I won't say I'm perfect but I always try to stay vegan if at all possible.

I think the key is to find a good recipe source, and you can easily make meals that are delicious and just as satisfying as anything with meat it in. I highly recommend Veganomicon for getting started. Some of the recipes are a bit complex but everything I've made out of it has been amazingly delicious.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
@Olympia- I definitely will purchase some chickens when I get my own place. Right now I don't think my landlord will be too enthused to see chickens in the backyard!! lol
My neighbor had 3 rhode island reds and 1 plymouth rock chicken. The plymouth had to be kept separate from the other 3 bc they picked on her for being a different color. Her name was Portle and she generally had free run, smetimes she would go out on the cul-de-sac and chase the cats!

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
When I was in getting my taxes done there was a National Geog magazine that I was flipping through. In the UK there is a huge movement to "retire" egg layers from the factory farms into family homes as pets rather than slaughter them. This movement has become so popular that this year the UK (I don't know which countries or if they all are) are banning battery cages. Battery cages are the ones the size of a sheet of 8x11 paper which the chickens stand in for their lifespan. They lose their feathers and natural pigmentations. Ugh, it's terrible.

At least free range they are able to stand in gravel/sand and move around. I believe their beaks are still trimed to avoid pecking their fellow mates. They might also trim their toenails to avoid any injury. These practices I do not agree with. Some argue that main stream "free range" are still factory farmed. And they are correct. But unless you buy local or raise your own, the society we live in will produce quantity over quality.
Free range eggs from happy chickens is simply better tasting! AND I talked to the chickens who made them <3 They were real sweet, they liked my dog, but he wasn't sure quite how to handle them!! lol

**I have that article saved on my browser I'll read it after my class :)

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well, I can highly recommend the food I tried to cook last night. :) On the Vitasoy website is a free downloadable recipe book, and in it is a recipe for Roast Vegetable and Couscous salad. The dressing is exceptional (though mine was vegetarian, not vegan, because my family don't like soy-tasting stuff). I got the dessert recipe (Cranberry Cinammon Poached Pears) from taste.com and it was amazing! Both meals are extremely easy to cook, even for a total cooking newb like me. :)

I also tried some soy blueberry yoghurt. Surprisingly tasty. :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm so glad there are other vegans here! I am a vegan, and have been for almost a year and a half. I LOVE it! I wouldn't want to live any other way. I am vegan because I believe all animals should be treated with respect, and kindness, and be allowed to live their lives. I was vegetarian for five years before finally going vegan. I knew that I couldn't live with the guilt of eating eggs or drinking milk for another day, so I made the change. I hate how much animal cruelty there is, it's disgusting and wrong. I advocate animal rights whenever I have the opportunity, because I feel that it is my responsibility to speak up for the animals, since they can't do it for themselves. I also believe it is the best thing we can do for the planet, since factory farming is so detrimental to the environment. I could go on forever about how many good things come from being vegan! But, I do it mostly for the animals. :)

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
One question though, if you raised your own cows and chickens and stuff, would you still consume their by-products? You would know they lived in a good home and most importantly, you would know what they ate! I would, ^.^ Just a question. I believe in animal fairness (not the "peta" kind!!) too, had my stint as a street protester too in my younger years ;)

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
That makes sense to me. Especially since we keep fish, there shouldn't be wrong with keeping chickens, and eating their eggs, they have no control over their egg production xD

·
Registered
563 Posts
If I owned chickens, I would eat their eggs. In fact I have friends who are animal lovers and own chickens, and I would eat their eggs, since I know that they are well taken care of. Cows on the other hand no, since for one, I wouldn't want my cow to get pregnant, and two the milk she produced would be meant for her calf. :)

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
True, I guess. Cows would be a big commitment too. Needs a couple pastures for grazing. There's an old fellow out around the bay where my grandmother used to live and he kept a handful of cows for auction :( and he rotated them between 3 pastures. They were always so friendly!! I'd love to live out there and keep some cows! Just as companions.

A friend of my bf's has a rescued mare. She came from a factory that uses pregnant mare urine for menopause pills o_O

·
Registered
563 Posts
Oh my wow! That's... disgusting. But I'm glad she's safe now! And yea, I would LOVE to go live with a bunch of animals, it would be a lot of fun! But also as you said, a LOT of work. And you would pretty much have to have a vet live with you haha.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I think this man has been in a traditional farming family for his entire life and uses old holistic methods. He kept his cows healthy as he could giving them a natural life in a real pasture. He sold them every year though for goodness knows what :( The only thing about his place which stayed the same each year we went out was the Newfoundland Pony "Lucky" he had. Lucky was a nice pony! ^.^ He liked sugar.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I can't wait to get chickens one day. I would like a couple of differents kinds - a combination of Isa Browns, some bantams and maybe some silkies. :)

On Saturday night I cooked sweet potato and lentil burgers - so tasty! Definitely recommend those. :)

I'm going to try and cook a vegetarian (vegan if I can) meal for my friends who are coming over on Wednesday. Anyone got any suggestions? Four hungry boys.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
4 hungry boys.. They'll want to be filled. You could do a shepherd's pie. You'll need Yves veggie Ground Round (the regular one tastes most like meat and will surprise them, even my bf likes it) The Asian one has a salty soy sauce taste to it too!!

Pile on your potatoes, onion, herbs, and whatever kind of cheese. (I don't do the vegan cheeses but you can if you like ^.^) Serve up the shepherd's pie with homestyle buns and vegan margarine and they'll be gawking at the simplicity and awesomness of it!!

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Just wondering, what are these artificial meats made of?
My goal is much less to not harm animals than it is to maintain a natural life style, ie get as far away from nasty laboratory foods.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
It actually doesn't seem that bad, surprisingly.
Maybe I'll try this next time I cook a family meal. :D

21 - 40 of 51 Posts