Betta Fish Forum banner

141 - 160 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
There's a facebook group focused on breeding and bringing back veiltails and giving them standards etc that started up today. I don't think I can link it, but there are a group of dedicated breeders and hobbyists out there who want veiltails to recieve similar treatment and focus to more 'popular' tail types.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
You can't link it...but if you give me the name of the group I can search it up myself! :-D

·
Registered
211 Posts
It's just a group called Veiltail Fighting Fish, only one of it's kind. This is very new, but I'm excited to see any future developments of the variety.

·
Registered
988 Posts
A couple of new veiltails being offered on aquabid including this dragon scale butterfly.
He's gorgeous! :)

Have any of you veiltail lovers seen an opaque white veiltail? Not a cellophane, or a marbling white one, but a real white one - like the nice white halfmoons. I was thinking of how nice white veils would look earlier, and I realized that I've never seen one before. Might be an interesting thing to breed for.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
My new rescue Sammy. Not sure his coloring yet as he's been through a lot and hasn't colored up quite yet I don't think. He's pretty stressed, he was used as a psychology experiment along with other VT's and he needs some TLC.

Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 11.07.27 AM.png

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I picked up a really pretty VT boy the other day - he's got neon purple colouring on his body and bright, almost magenta fins. I'm calling his colour purple ... but there's no such thing is there? I need to post pics of him :)

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Yes, there are true purple betta fish, and true green. They're uncommon, though. Apparently true green VT used to be more common (back in the 70's), but has largely died out, now. People hypothesize that this is due to the inbreeding required to create the HM lines. There's a project underway to resurrect it. Keep your eyes peeled, maybe in a few years we'll see more of them.

Chard56 breeds purple bettas, and they are beautiful!

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I saw this pretty boy at the LPS today. So handsome! Pity I don't have room for more.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I love that female marble I so want her. Maybe if my paycheck is good enough this next payday I'll scoop her and a project orange (or yellow, I'm undecided) up.

I'm going to start working on a nice butterfly VT line myself within the next 6 or so months with my orange dalmatian butterfly male as the foundation male.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm pretty positive my boy is a veiltail. I've had to do everything to cut down on his flaring in an effort to keep his fins looking nice and man I miss his flares as he's so pretty. Sorry these aren't the best but he won't hold still for anything. I don't know what his color is called, but if peeps want to help I'd appreciate it. Also is it normal or common for those front fins to be that blood red despite the rest of his color? It's been that way since I saw him in the store and just want to know if I should be concerned.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Your guy is indeed a veiltail. He is a steel blue and his red fins are quite normal and its fairly common to see blue fish with red ventrals

141 - 160 of 179 Posts