Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FOR ALMOST ANY OF THE PRODUCTS LISTED BELOW I CAN SHARE A LINK TO THE PRODUCT IF NEEDED.
I'm also more than willing to take more photos of specific things if needed.

Housing:
Heres a photo of my betta's aquarium

How many gallons is your tank? - 5g

Does it have a filter? Yes. I use a sponge filter. I can share links to the exact products.

Does it have a heater? - yes, I have 2.

What temperature is your tank? - Its been fluctuating. Currently it is 78f but earlier this morning it was 81f.

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? - I have an air stone and my sponge filter.

Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? - Yes. at this very moment at least 2 bladder snails. I had a lot more that produced a lot of waste in the tank.

Food:
What food brand do you use? hikari betta bio- gold, Tetra BettaMin Flake Medley, Fluval bug bites, frozen blood worms and live fruit flies. I soak the pellets, bug bites and bloodworms before I feed them to him.
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Both.

Freeze-dried? Yes however I try to stay away from freeze dried blood worms.

How often do you feed your Betta? How much? I feed him about once a day / every other day. I try to feed him about the size of his eye. I rotate out all these foods. So, for example one week I might feed him pellets on Monday, ff Wednesday, flakes on Friday, bloodworms on sat morning and fast until Monday night.

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? every other week depending on the parameters.

What percentage of water did you change? 10-20%

What is the source of your water? tap water

Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? I always vacuum.

What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Seachem Betta Basics. API Aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
I dont think these numbers are correct. Im positive I had an ammonia spike from all the waste that the snail produced. These numbers are from a week ago. Right after I post this I'm going to check again before I do a water change. I'll post my results.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH: 8.0
Hardness (GH): n/a
Alkalinity (KH): n/a

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Honestly the timeline is a bit fuzzy because when I got him he wasn't doing so good either. Looking back on photos of when I first got him 3 months ago and I think he was given to me with velvet. I got him from a local mom and pop pet store that was delivering fish right to your front door for free if you lived in the area. I knew I wasn't getting a perfect show betta but I didn't care. I just thought someone made a mistake I was given a different fish than the one I was shown. I thought the odd yellow/brown velvet spots was just his colouring but I should have known something was wrong immediately. His fins were a completely different colour than the fish I was shown. I think while I had him in my care for a few months he got better and almost over it.
My old bladder snail died and very quickly algae and what looked like mold started growing in the tank and taking over. My biggest mistake was putting 10 bladder snails in the aquarium for a week. They definitely did their job in cleaning the tank. I think I spiked the ammonia with all their waste. I added some extra decorations the same time I added the snails thinking it was a good idea to add more hiding spots. Squirtle (my betta) got stuck under one and cut himself on his head/back. I immediately took it all out.
With the added snails and open wound I assume I stressed him out and his immune system was weak.

How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Oh, its changed QUITE a bit. This is him when he was his healthiest with me -

March 29th is when the snails and the wound happened. This picture was taken the next day I believe.

and this is him 2 days ago. You can see the velvet on his face and a bit on his body.
1618773623800.jpeg

I'm treating him for velvet (because of the gold spots.) However I'm wondering if he has more issues than JUST velvet. I was told he has columnaris by someone on Facebook a week ago. Other than the black stripe on him I don't think he has any other symptoms of columnaris however. I actually convinced myself he was fine and just changing colour because hes a dragonscale and they marble sometimes.
Does anyone have any explanation to why hes turning black? I've been watching him closely and I never saw the biggest strip turn gold. It just slowly got darker and darker. Its like his scales faded off. I think I have a photo somewhere to show this if needed.
I noticed his gills are looking pretty bad too. They look red, painful with white dots. I thought it was ammonia burn initially. Is this because of the velvet? Other than water changes and salt can I do anything immodestly to help with this?

Hes still eating and swimming around however I can see him slowly detreating. Hes hiding/sleeping more. swimming erratically and darting around when I come too close. Hes starting to actually show aggressive behaviour when I approach the tank (he never used to.) Its heartbreaking. I feel so bad. I need to get a handle on this and quickly.

As for treatment I'm trying to keep the aquarium as hot as I can (but its only getting into the high 70s/low 80s.) I've been doing 50-75% water changes every day / every third day. I add about half a teaspoon of aquarium salt and I follow the directions on the seachem and I have been keeping the light off.

If there's any product I can purchase to help speed up his healing I'm more than willing to purchase it. I'd prefer to get something to treat the water with that wont hurt my snails, however I understand if this is unrealistic because of how sensitive they are.
How would you go about treatment if this was your betta? Ill take any tips and tricks I can get. Sorry if this post was all over the place. I tried to share the most important information in order

·
Banned
Bettas: Strider, Smauge, Val, Kumar, Lady, Cookies, Donatella, Nerissa, and Tabitha. L Gecko: George
417 Posts
He doesn't look like he has velvet. Velvet looks like yellow power stuck to the betta were as his scales are just naturally gold colored. He definitely doesn't have columnaris. He is just changing colors so don't worry about him. You can stop treatment. He does have some chunks nipped out of his fins though which can be caused from stress. He is a really pretty boy btw!

·
Super Moderator
22,055 Posts
He doesn't have Velvet. That is his natural iridescence.

I am concerned by the black on his back. IMO, it is not marbling. Can you get a close up? Mentioning that I cannot read walls of text so if you've answered any of the questions you'll know why I ask.

How long did it take for the black to appear?
Is any of the area raised?
Are there any fuzzy or white areas?
How have you treated him? Meds?
How is his appetite?

As an aside, he is not getting enough nutrition. Can you get a photo of him directly from above?

Betta should be fed every day. TetraMin and Hikari are full of fillers. I would suggest you ditch them and go with the Fluval Bug Bites, frozen and life fruit flies.

It's not true that a Betta's stomach is the size of its eye. That's just another untruth formed in the age of the Internet when people present themselves as more knowledgeable than they are. This has led to fish being misdiagnosed or called "fine" when they aren't. In your case, it may also have led to a nutrition-deprived Betta.

One reason I often skip giving advice is because so many diseases show the same symptoms. It takes study, experience and observation to see the nuances that separate one from another. I admit I don't have that. I'm sure those who are versed in diseases will post to help you.

·
Banned
Bettas: Strider, Smauge, Val, Kumar, Lady, Cookies, Donatella, Nerissa, and Tabitha. L Gecko: George
417 Posts

I am concerned by the black on his back. IMO, it is not marbling. Can you get a close up? Mentioning that I cannot read walls of text so if you've answered any of the questions you'll know why I ask.

How is his appetite?

As an aside, he is not getting enough nutrition. Can you get a photo of him directly from above?

Betta should be fed every day. TetraMin and Hikari are full of fillers. I would suggest you ditch them and go with the Fluval Bug Bites, frozen and life fruit flies.

It's not true that a Betta's stomach is the size of its eye. That's just another untruth formed in the age of the Internet when people present themselves as more knowledgeable than they are. This has led to fish being misdiagnosed or called "fine" when they aren't. In your case, it may also have led to a nutrition-deprived Betta.

Because so many diseases show the same symptoms, it takes study, experience and observation to see the nuances that separate one from another. I'm sure those who are versed in diseases will post to help you.
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shoot I'm so sorry! Exams have been kicking my butt. I meant to reply but kept getting pulled away.
So far Squirtle is still doing well but still loosing more colour.

How is his appetite?

One reason I often skip giving advice is because so many diseases show the same symptoms. It takes study, experience and observation to see the nuances that separate one from another. I admit I don't have that. I'm sure those who are versed in diseases will post to help you.
How long did it take for the black to appear? - I've had him for about 5 months now. I'd say it started appearing a month ago
Is any of the area raised? - no
Are there any fuzzy or white areas? - no
How have you treated him? Meds? - I treated him for velvet but no meds.
How is his appetite? - Its the same as before. Hes always willing to eat.

I've started ONLY feeding the bug bites and live food also. Heres a photo from above

And here are some updated photos of him

Today is water change day. I also just took these photos. This is a veeerryy similar read to what I had when I first posted

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
828 Posts
I honestly think its a natural color change. If it's not raised, fuzzy, missing scales, open wound etc. and he is still eating and pooping I would assume everything is normal :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi folks! I was wondering if this colour change could be because Squirtle is seeing himself in the aquarium reflection and its stressing him out? I think I just watched him chase his reflection.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts