Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My betta has been home since Friday afternoon. He hasn't been hiding since then and is actively swimming around. However, I've noticed he swims somewhat quickly and has clamped fins, at least during the day (I noticed last night after shinning a light in his tank, his fins were completely open). He also has these large gold spots on his gills and I'm not sure if this is velvet as it doesn't appear to be a dusting nor is it anywhere else. Also, he seems attracted to the glass of the aquarium, swimming past it, I'm not sure if this is him trying to fight himself or rubbing against the glass.

Additionally, he's ben pretty personable and does beg for food, accepts food and has been building a pretty large bubble nest for the past few days. Temperature is always between 77 and 79 and the tank is cycled with no ammonia and occasionally the slightest bit if nitrite (The API test kit will sometimes darken ever so slightly, but its pretty consistently always been at zero).

I've attached the best picture I could, but I'm pretty sure its just part of his pattern. I plan on picking up some almond leaves to help with any stress, but any suggestions on how I can get him to keep his fins nice and open?

Just some additional information:
He is alone in a 10 gallon tank with an AquaClear 5-20 on the lowest setting. I have a piece of driftwood as well as some fake, temporary silk plants. Substrate is some large gravel and eco-complete as I plan on planting semi-heavily in the the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10G
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 77-79
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No, I've since removed an airstone as he does not like it
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No, not currently

Food:
What food brand do you use? Temporarily have been using Aqueon Pellets. I was in a pinch and just wanted to keep him fed. I have frozen food and higher quality pellets/flakes coming.
Do you feed flakes or pellets? see above
Freeze-dried? Not planning on
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Due to the low quality pellet, I've been trying to feed him as little as possible. I feed him 3-4 pellets at least twice a day if he accepts them.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? One the first day, the nitrite kept spiking. It has since leveled off and last water change was Sunday Morning.
What percentage of water did you change? about 50%, as I was trying to end my cycle a little earlier than planned. I has excess nitrite that I couldn't seem to get rid of.
What is the source of your water? Tap water (NYC). It is conditioned prior to entering the tank
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum gently
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Prime. no additional additives

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water *before* the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: O
Nitrite: 0 - <0.25 (rarely above zero)
Nitrate: 0-5ppm
pH: 7
Hardness (GH): n/a
Alkalinity (KH): n/a

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? First day I bought him (Friday)
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? It hasn't, he has remained fin clamped
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? It hasn't, he's been active however has short bursts of movements coupled with regular swimming and relaxing in the tank
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Not that I know of
How long have you owned your Betta? A few days
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Possibly, I assumed stress but he was very active in the store and on the way home

·
Super Moderator
22,727 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

Can you post a photo of the entire tank? Sometimes when they go from a tiny environment to a larger one it is intimidating. Lots of plants will help.

The gold is his natural iridescence; not Velvet. Velvet looks like tiny, raised speckles of gold.

If my Betta are active and eating I don't worry; just watch them and wait.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's been doing a bit better and has opened his fins a little bit more often, however whenever he swims he clamps his fins and move really quickly. I think it has to do with the filter, I have it on the lowest setting but he still has trouble near it. Not sure how to resolve this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts