Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I live on dorm at a boarding school, and one of my neighbors has a betta fish in a little bowl. It has no heating or filtration, and I think the betta has velvet. It is a red betta, and has a rust colored dust all over its body. I will post a pic later if I can. I talked to her, and she really wants to get the betta better, so we are going to move him to my 2.5 gal QT and get a heater in there.

I think that we will keep the temp around 85-86 degrees. The only medications I have on hand right now are Methylene Blue and Aquarium Salt. Should I use one or both of these? Will these be enough, or should we get other stuff? It will take a few days to get more/better medication, so should we treat with what we have until then, or wait until we have the good stuff? Any advise would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
I think you should wait if you can fine Cupramine by SeaChem one of the more safe copper meds used for Velvet, not much really works for velvet except copper meds. Also keep the tank blacked out, absolutely no light except for feeding and water changing. And yes that temperature is great to keep at!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
For freshwater it's 1 drop per gallon for the first 2 day's i think it is and then you go up to 2 drops per gallon. Usually it's not dosed in a 1 gallon tank but bigger so water changes aren't normally done, but I'm currently dosing in a 1 gallon tank as well and just every two day's I've been doing water changes for her (100%'s) and just putting back in the 2 drops is all and it's worked just fine for me. :) that help at all?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Yep that sounds fine ^_^ I hope he get's better soon. You should see results star in a few day's around 3-4 day's but just do out the entire 14 day dose because Velvet is very hard to get rid of and there's always a chance it can come back or live dormant on the fins if you don't get rid of it all right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.