Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got some information about water changes from an old post on here by oldfishlady. I have a 5 gallon uncycled tank and she said I should do 50% water changes twice a week(once with gravel vacuuming and once without) if I want to try and cycle the tank.

All good so far. I did the gravel vacuuming change yesterday and put my betta in a cup in the meantime. When I added the new water back in and let him float in there in his cup to acclimate him, he threw a huge fit. He just did not want to stay in the cup. He kept hitting the walls of the cup, I am assuming trying to get out. The water temperate etc. was fine, so I can only reason that he did not want to stay in the cup.

For the next 50% water change I am planning to keep Sake in the tank (since I don't have to gravel vacuum anyway). How do I do that without harming him? Won't the sudden chemistry change be harmful if I just dunk 50% new water in there?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Freaking out in the tank is normal, unless all of my bettas are weird too! I wouldn't worry about it. Leave him in the cup to acclimate, he'll be fine! It's normal for him to want to get back into his home and explore.

This is just extra info, but how do you get him into the cup? I usually just take the lid off the tank, wait for him to come to the top (not long since they breath surface air, duh) and scoop him up gently like that. It's easy and saves less time chasing with the net! (You might already do this.. :p)

I'd also maybe suggest getting like a 1g bowl to put him in for a while so you can cycle the tank? Doesn't take long for a 5g usually, 2-5 weeks. If you do, you can just do a 50% every 7-8 days once it's cycled fully after you've tested the water with a cheap 2$-4$ kit.. Much easier!

Good luck with Sake! Hope to see pics of him soon. :)

~ Joel

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I've done 90% water changes with my betta tanks with them in it, its fine. Just pour slowly. I find that the time it takes to go fill up the bucket again is enough to acclimate, as I get the water out of the tap as close to the tank temp as possible.

TL;DR Leave your betta in for water changes, he will be fine.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I also have a 5 gallon tank that is almost done cycling (I think). I do the 50% changes with him in the tank. I moved his decor around yesterday and all this stuff flew up from the gravel, so I did an 80% change plus a gravel vac. I put him in a cup for that and he did the same thing. I think he just didn't appreciate going from 5 gallons to a small cup, haha!

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Thank you for your response. Do you do the temperature check with a thermometer or do you just go by feel?
I go by feel, and it usually ends up to be about 75-77F. So I find my method accurate :D I make sure the water isnt something I would bathe in, but not something I would be chilly in either. Just right in the middle. It's a lukewarm kind of feeling. You could temp check if you want :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aaand success! Thank you to everyone who replied. I finally did two 50% water changes with the betta in the tank. I have noticed he does lose color slightly every time I do a water change but this time it came back quicker than last time so I am hoping he will just 'man up' eventually.

Question about water change, how do I vacuum the gravel if I have live plants? I have about 4 live plants in there. Do I have to take them out every week and rinse them?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts