Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this female two days ago for my sorority tank. (Please don't lecture me on sororities.) I thought she'd be okay after the initial couple days but she is getting constantly picked on and her fins are getting wrecked because she's so small.
I decided to put her in a cup for a while so she can fatten up and heal before she goes back in again. (I'll do daily water changes and she'll have a moss ball piece to keep the water clean.)

Is there anything else I should be doing to help her gain some weight? Maybe feeding a little extra or giving bloodworms?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

:thankyou:

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
Do you have a back-up plan if she cannot integrate into the sorority?

Are you keeping her water at least 78 degrees?

She looks very young, are your other girls full grown?

What I'd do is put her in at least a 1 gal tank that is heated, that way she's not stressed and will be able to gain some muscle mass in addition to weight, it'll also help her fins heal and prevent infection from setting in. I'd worm her with PraziPro to make sure that is not why she's so thin, and feed her a high quality food like New Life Spectrum, Omega One, Fluval Bug Bites, and/or frozen foods like bloodworms, brine shrimp, daphnia, and mysis shrimp.

I think some betta may be naturally on the thin side, I have one that gets fed the same as my other boys, yet he is thinner then all of them. I did worm him just to make sure it wasn't that but he remains thin.

One word of caution. Given the high stress of sororities you should quarantine any new fish for 6 weeks before introducing them to your sorority to avoid introducing illness to your tank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a separate tank that I planned to make into a second sorority but I think I'm going to put the two-three shyer females there and the others in their current tank.

Yes

Yes

I'm going to do that. I'll give an update on her soon.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Rainbo gave you some good advice. I give any fish that seems to be ailing or injured frozen or live food. It seems to help them heal faster.

Just wanted to clarify: You aren't going to put her in the second tank until she is fully healed and gained weight, correct?

Can you post a photo of the sorority? Maybe there's something we can suggest to add to the odds of success. As an aside, a friend who keeps a sorority in a 40 gallon breeder tanks said she found long tanks are better than tall and no fewer than 2-3 gallons per female. Her sorority is going on seven years old. Very, very heavily planted (80%+) with an open area front and center.

BTW, we try very hard to resist and discourage lecturing. ;-)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts