Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased from Aquaristic in Sydney, NSW (Australia) on Sunday, 21st August 2011. My first Betta fishy!

The pictures really can't do it justice. I will be purchasing a new camera in the future sometime, perhaps that will display more colouring - but in the mean time you guys can still see him here :)

Many thanks to a lot of you here for assisting me with my questions and the articles and responses you have given! You're helping me help Victor to be happy in his new home :D

(named so because my and my girlfriend were watching Wild Target (movie) and it was the first name spoken!)

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Nice tank! He is so beautiful!

Just a word of caution, some Halfmoon bettas, and delta tail bettas (and all bettas) can tail bite, but HM, and DET are really common to do this. Keep an eye on him, and make sure there is no way he can get bored or stressed...

I believe yours is a Delta Tail (DeT) betta.

·
Registered
542 Posts
He's beautiful :D

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Just lovely! Though watch that he doesn't jump out. If you don't want to put a lid (and I know I wouldn't!) you could grow some sort of floating plant at the top. Duckweed is the first one that comes to my mind, but I know there are lots of others. It would greatly reduce the chances of him jumping. :)

·
Registered
975 Posts
Very nice. I have a couple with similar fin size to his

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks very much for your lovely comments everyone! ^^

NeilD:
Again, very useful info! Is there any recommended ways or methods of ensuring he doesn't get bored and stressed? I plan to place another piece of driftwood, perhaps another water plant and/or some caves to explore next water change. Is it recommended to reposition items every so often to simulate a new environment? My concern is that it will cause more stress than remove boredom.

Only just this morning he explored the current driftwood tunnel very cautiously! Hehe was very cute to watch as he inch by inch went into the dark dark tunnel and came out the other side and displayed his fins like yelling "triumphant tunnel explorer extraordinaire!" :)

Oooh a Delta Tail! Cool and thanks :D The aquarium said he was a Halfmoon and priced accordingly, I just thought he was beautiful regardless!

Kytkattin:
Thanks very much! The lid that came with the aquarium didn't fit because it was missing clips. I'm getting those clips this weekend, but in the meantime I MacGyver'd an old display case glass door, and cleaned it then rested it on top. I took it off to take some pictures, but when I'm not home it stays on top (with a large gap in the corner to breath and allow heater cord and water filter of course ^^)

Bahamut285:
Haha thanks! No fishy of mine is gonna be afraid of a putty tat! Funny thing was the first day he tried to bite Sylvester's ear off! The plant is Anubias grown into driftwood, it was the best piece I saw in the shop! It has a hidden tunnel which he explored this morning for the first time!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
He LOOKS like a Delta, but it is possible he is a HM.

The decor change is fine. He should enjoy exploring the caves.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
He's a beautiful boy and the tank is really nice and natural looking. I think it makes his colours pop more, than if you'd gone for clown-puke gravel and artificial plants.

He shouldn't jump out. I have tanks with longer-finned boys and no lids and they don't even attempt it (unlike some of my other fish). Glad you decided to go to Aquaristic, I've heard they're a pretty good store. You might be able to stretch him to HM with some regular flare sessions.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
He's beautiful. Maybe a super delta...

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Wow, what huge fins! Especially the ventrals!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wow what a beautiful boy! I absolutely love his huge fins <3

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I don't think he's a delta, probably Super Delta or HM. Even in his non-flared picture he's already SD, so he might be an HM in full flare. Although I personally find it hard to get Skittles to show me his full spread. I keep wanting to check on his tail-bitten tail but he won't flare -.-

His ventrals ARE stunning though, absolutely beautiful :D

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Wow, you're baby boy looks stunning! :>

If you're worried about him getting stressed you can try adding some tea into the tank, IAL (Indian Almond Leaves) would work the best but they're hard to come by, so you could try green tea or roobios tea, remember decaf and no extra additives! The ingredients should just list tea.

Or you could try oak leaves, dried up if you put them outside the sun.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts