Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He anchors himself to something, like the filter baffle (the filer is off for now to reduce stress), and eventually his bottom half floats up and he ends up laying sideways on the surface. He corrects it immediately, but it has happened at least a dozen times under my watch and I'm unsure as to the cause.

He also seems to have some VERY acute fin rot, but I don't have any AQ. I made sure his water is warm and clean, but all I have is Epsom Salt so I'm unsure what to do now.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Does he look Bloated?
Does he have Symptoms of Swim Bladder Disease?
What about Symptoms for Internal Parasites?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He doesn't look bloated, but I don't know about the parasites. He;s not lethargic at all. He's active, he just can't hang out at the top without rolling over.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Could it be swim bladder disease?

How much have you fed him lately?

Please fill this out so we can help you:

tank size:
heated?:
filtered?:
Has your betta been acting different lately?:
How much and what do you feed your betta?:

Have you checked your water parameters lately? If so..:

ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
ph:
hardness:

How long has your betta been acting like this:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tank: Ten Gallon
Heated: Yes, at a steady 78.
Filtered: yep
Acting differently: Wouldn't know as I just got him today.
I fed him two pellets (Aqueon betta food, it's the only thing I've found that's small enough for every betta to eat)

I don't know my parameters.

He's been doing this for a couple of hours.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, it looks like he has a bubble in his abdomen- it changes shape and rotates as he swims, and moves closer to his tail. I'm going to hope it passes unless anyone has experienced similar symptoms?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Also is your tank properly cycled? If you can't do a reading of the parameters then I'd assume not, there may be way to much ammonia in that tank which can cause fin rot and eventual death. In my ten gallon uncycled tank I don not run a filter (because it will cause an ammonia spike), instead I do 100% water changes once a week. There's info on all that on this site if you run a search too. Hope he gets better.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh it's cycled and has been used for other fish, and I've had the filter running for a while.

I can't do parameters because I don't have a test kit, because I used to have dip strips and they got dumped in water by accident.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts