Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning Vilkas was completely normal and full finned. He had a little issue with fin rot when I got him, and swim bladder too, but he's recovering fine from both and looked happy this morning, finally exploring his tank.

I just got home, and BAM. Torn fins. They're rectangle shaped cuts and are in between rays, occurring on his cladual mainly, but even a little on his dorsal and anal. There are a LOT of them, and I think it may be tail biting but I'm unsure.

I've cupped him so I can watch and observe for a few minutes, but I'm still unsure about it. I've only noticed him nip at his tail once, and he didn;t actually do it, he barrel rolled and swam away.

He's in a heated 10 gallon with two ghost shrimp and a ton of room to swim. My old halfmoon Sunny came in contact with all of the decor in the tank now and never got any rips (Though Vilkas DOES have one large gash that looks like a rip). The water is cleaned weekly and filtered too. I've only fasted him one, that was today, because of the SBD suspicion.

WP_001285.jpg

WP_001281.jpg

WP_001284.jpg

·
Registered
655 Posts
It *might* be tail biting, but he could have also gotten stuck on a plant of some sort. Do you have any rough plastic plants or decor in your tank?

I have a HM who's tail looks like this from time to time but it's not from biting, he doesn't have any plastic plants in his tank but the silk ones he has have little plastic pegs at the bottom he sometimes swims though.

One of my other HM, "EP" went through a tail biting phase that lasted forever and he lost almost all of his tail. It started back in October some time and it's only just now starting to grow back. (with the help of a trim)

Here is a picture of him, does the shredding at the end look similar to you?

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's what it looks like, almost to a T.

·
Registered
655 Posts
It probably is tail biting then.. In my case, I couldn't stop him from biting his tail and God knows I tried. I tried rearranging his tank, putting him in a larger tank, a smaller tank, moving him away from other fish, putting females next to him. I tried leaving him in the dark and exercising him with a mirror, everything. He had so much anger in him it didn't work lol. HOPEFULLY that isn't the case for you..

Have you taken anything out of his tank lately or changed his home around at all? The best thing for right now would be for him to be in a little QT for a while so his tore up fins don't get infected or anything.. Maybe try changing his home and giving him new places to explore and hang out in. He could be bored or he could be angry at the world for whatever reason- teenage rebellion maybe?

It's very hard to tell from here how your Betta will react- you know him best and what he likes so it's hard for me to say what to do. You can try what you want, I always suggest getting a floating Betta Log lol, I only have one (shown in my avatar) and Psych loves it, it keeps him from getting bored too.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think he;s mighty bored, because he;s only been in the tank for two days. I removed the "iffy" plastic plants and hope to take them all out soon and have live plants and a or a rock, maybe. I'm going to try re arranging the tank and see if it makes him happy.

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts