Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so if you've been following my exploits I'm giving it another go, and for those who haven't I've tried and failed about 4 times to breed. I'm giving my original pair another go, except I'm going to remove the male again and cup the eggs. I've gotten one fry from these guys before so I'm going to see if I can't get any more this way. Their spawning as I type. They've been at it for about 45 mins and Velvet is only a bit skinnier. She just released about 20 eggs and Walter is super busy trying to pick all of them up. :p I got a good feeling about this one. He's not chasing her off yet and she's not going crazy again. I'm a keepin my fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They just finished about 40 mins ago. I scooped the female out and then scooped the male, along with cupping the eggs. I'll hopefully get a count of the eggs before they hatch. I'll do the picture and colors again. It looks like another big count so we'll see :-D

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Poor Walter kinda took a beating this round. lol Velvet got her kicks in. He's missing a scale or two and She ripped a chunk of his tail fin and proceeded to eat it :-O She's missing a scale or two as well along with a few nips in her fins but over all not bad. Still waiting for the eggs to fall to the bottom of the cup so I can make a count. Their still are a few stuck to bubbles and what not

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
so the egg count is *drum roll* 600!!! I couldn't believe it. Here's hoping at least some are fertilized! I'll know by tonight!.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I'm hoping I'll be able to start seeing little eyes and tails by tonight at least. They dont all look unfertilized. Some eggs seem to have two white spots on it (one on either side). I'm hoping those are the embryo's developing.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do have fertilized eggs! I know it. I sucked an egg into an eye dropper and looked very closely. I say two tiny tiny eyes and a tail! I'm going to try to get a pic but we'll see how I do.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
24 hour mark just passed. Last time I had babies at the 29 hour mark. Here's hoping the madness of hatching day starts soon!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
grr its so hard to wait! I'm checking like every hour now...its been 28 hours now. I can see some of them in the egg and it's driving me nuts. I feel like I'm in an egg waiting to burst out...

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found 5 fry that hatched! I've sucked them out of the original cup and put them in another. I have a third cup sitting idle and I have many other that I can add into the tank. I'm so excited! I"m hoping at least half of the eggs hatch, I'd even take a fourth or heck an eighth. YAY! I probably wont get pics up until tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so last night I did have 5 fry hatch but I only saw one of them move. Since waking up only one of them is still moving. No new ones have hatched. I am going to give them a full 72 hours to hatch (so tomorrow around 4 I'm calling it). I'll give the fry I have every chance to grow big and strong but I'm probably going to start conditioning a new pair shortly after.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still no new babies. its well past 40 hours now. I think this was a bust, again. I have one fry but I'm going to keep him in the cup a while. I"m going to move him and his cup into the 20 so I can give the tank another 80-100% water change and start conditioning the next pair. I don't know who to try though.
Popcorn HM obviously but who with? Patrick HM is kinda old (I've had him for a year) but he's maintaining a bubble nest. Black Beard CT is who I'm leaning towards but is there any side effects to an HM x CT? or Dizzy HMPK dragon scale but he's a bit on the small side. He may be too young but he is definitely the youngest and probably healthiest. I'll make a thread and ask the forum's populace and include a poll

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My one guy it still alive and kicking. I gave him his first feeding of microworms today. Little guy is going to get fat being the only one eating. I'm trying to use the smallest amount I can but that's really hard.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I'm so glad to hear that he/she is still alive. Here's looking foreward to at least one beautiful fry.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lol We'll see. Chances are against me but that doesn't stop me from trying. I'll try to get a picture of him/her

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I know, I had a spawn that produced 3 fry, and none of them made it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I still hope for the best of luck to you and your fry.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts