Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Carnation - Male/Red/Veiltail Betta
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo I have a 20-gallon tank, but nothing to do with it. Then I started looking at Sororitys. (am i saying that right? i'm pretty new to this. :/
I am looking for information on what to do, what bettas to select, food type, decor, how many bettas, can i put a male in there, and any other important info.
Please list anything you have learned!!

·
Super Moderator
24,358 Posts
I'm going to be a Debbie Downer on this one.

I've never had a sorority but from what I've read on this Forum they are hard for the inexperienced to keep going for more than a few months or a year.

Females are in unnatural living conditions and under constant stress. This can compromise immune systems which leads to disease. One of the reasons sororities have high mortality rates.

I have a friend who has been successful for 10 years. BUT...she has a 40 gallon breeder with 7-10 females; +75% live plants to break up lines of sight and chase and to allow each female to stake out her own territory. A majority of deaths have been from old age. She's had fish for 35+ years.

All of that being said, if your 20 gallon is long (30 x 12 x 12) and not taller than long you have a better chance of success. Five females might work; but no more. If you have a fairly close Betta club you might find a breeder who has siblings for sale. Do not add the females piecemeal. And once the hierarchy is set don't mess with it. And have a tank for each female should it not work out.

Before adding any females I would the plants established and at 75% and any hides placed. It's best if the hides have two openings so a female does not become cornered.

Have you thought about a colorful Betta-based community tank? This is a photo of one I had a few years ago with Neon and Ember Tetras, Habrosus Cory and Chili Rasbora + Red Sakura Shrimp, two types of Dwarf Crays and one male Plakat named Clooney (far left).
Plant Plant community Organism Pet supply Aquatic plant

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! I have thought about a community tank, but food-wise, i'm a little confused on what to feed each fish and how. What fish go good with bettas? And would it be possible to do a Glofish community tank? I think that would be really pretty.
Here is picture of the tank I have:
Window Rectangle Wood Gas Display case

really sorry for the quality and tilt. i'm using a computer :/

·
Registered
Titan, Mothra, Charybdis
192 Posts
Hi there! As for the question of sororities, I can’t be much help. I have kept one community tank in the past with neon tetras, and a betta. There are lots of community tanks but I much prefer keeping bettas by themselves. If you do want to pursue a community tank, I strongly advise tetras of some sort or a colony of shrimp. Another thing you can do is divide your twenty gallon into between four and two compartments, allowing each betta their own space. What kind of glofish are you thinking about? There are all different kinds and some you can do with bettas while others you cannot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi there! As for the question of sororities, I can’t be much help. I have kept one community tank in the past with neon tetras, and a betta. There are lots of community tanks but I much prefer keeping bettas by themselves. If you do want to pursue a community tank, I strongly advise tetras of some sort or a colony of shrimp. Another thing you can do is divide your twenty gallon into between four and two compartments, allowing each betta their own space. What kind of glofish are you thinking about? There are all different kinds and some you can do with bettas while others you cannot.
really all types of glofish. my local meijer has a surprisingly good fish selection. There is a tank with a bunch of neon tetra and female bettas, so i'm gonna get two female bettas and a small school of neon tetra. as for glofish, definitely some galactic purple and cosmic blue tetra. the electric green and starfire red danios are super cute, so i might get a few of those. and i really wanna get a shark or two. i might look at a few pet stores and see if there is any betta glofish, because i have seen that those are being produced now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I feed everyone the same thing. I have always kept Omnivores with my Betta. Tetra, Rasbora, Corey, Guppies, etc., will eat both plants and insects. Betta are Insectivores so feeding is easy.
thank you so much for the tip

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I’m not sure if you intend to keep the 2 female bettas together but it’s generally not considered a good idea to do that. With only 2 there is the potential for a lot of aggression between them and a greater risk of injury or death to your betta fish. With a minimum of 5 girls together that aggression is spread out. Notice I did not say that there would be no aggression, just that the aggression would be spread out more.

Bettas, including females, are considered very territorial fish and keeping them together or even with other types of fish is always a gamble. You have to have a backup plan for what to do if/when you get a betta that’s too aggressive to safety keep with other fish.

If you want to have a betta fish based community tank, be sure to research the different fish that interest you. You want to make sure that the different fish you want to keep together have similar care requirements. For example, goldfish are a cold water fish, and bettas are a tropical fish, therefore they wouldn’t be compatible to keep together.

You can start your research on the Glo Fish website and look at their recommendations for keeping the different varieties.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Here is my current shopping list for my planned sorority. I've not started this project yet and it's been 4 years on and off planning.

24 gallon tank main display
Waterfall filter for high oxygenation and low flow, heater and temperature probe
Under this I can 5-6 x 2.5G tanks depending on how I build my stand
Each of these will require heat and filtration.

All will be planted to some degree and a Blackwater set up with a lot of wood and botanical only substrate, no sand or soil so floating plants and epithites only in the display

Oh I am planning on 7 female bettas for this set up and have planned for 3-4 that won't get on in the display so dedicated solo tanks with 2 dedicated full time QT/isolation/hospital tanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sparkyjoe: thank you so much! if that's the case then i don't think i will put any bettas in the community tank. i will definitely visit the glofish website and see what they say.
RussellTheShihTzu: Oh! One is a good idea. i don't know why I thought of that. Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My best Betta tank mate in my community tank was a female, Minerva. Females have so much personality when they're on their own.
they really do. my girl, poinsetta was awesome before she died of old age. she was a light red, almost pinkish.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is my list of supplies, fish, and decor. Is this good? And when i feed the fish, will i just sprinkle a bunch of food in a big line so they can all eat it?
Font Screenshot Parallel Document Number

Font Number Screenshot Parallel Document

all supplies come from either meijer or petsmart

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i feel like i should add a bunch of hides.

·
Super Moderator
24,358 Posts
Tiger Barbs are extremely aggressive. Cherry Barbs, on the other hand, tend to be more peaceful.

You also need a minimum of six of each species as these are shoaling fish need the security of numbers.

Here's something I've always found useful http://aqadvisor.com/.

Have fun!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts