Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! so I'm new to this but I just really want to make sure my new betta is okay... I got him four days ago, I picked him because he followed my finger like a puppy! I knew he had some problems because I could see he had his tail ripped by the ugly plastic decoration in his tiny cube, but I fell in love with him and took him home. the first day he was really lethargic and stressed, he developed stress stripes and his colour faded a little. as the days went on he's becoming more active, but I'm just worried about his health because my last betta died and it sucked. some other details:
I have him in a 3 gallon tank with a live plant and a filter that I baffled with a tea bag, he has a heater and a light but I don't use it because I heard they like darker spaces and I want to make him as comfortable as possible. he does rest a lot, but he also swims. he is ALWAYS hungry! I feed him three pellets a day but he nibbles on plants anyways, is this normal? I'm going to include pictures so please let me know if he seems like he's okay!! thanks so much ps he's a super delta !

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Hi Janeheo congrats on your new Betta friend. Just some quick advice don't over-feed that can cause all sorts of issues you don't need, no matter how much they seem to beg!
When you have a chance fill out this help form, it helps us all to understand the whole picture and to provide better advice. bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=612810

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 2.6
Does it have a filter? Yes, baffled with a teabag
Does it have a heater? yep
What temperature is your tank? 78-84, usually 82
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? a pump
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? none

Food:
What food brand do you use? homebrand from my local pet store
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried? i've ordered bloodworms
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?I started off feeding him 2 pellets a day but he begged so much so now maybe 4 a day

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? not sure if he's ill, but he has stress stripes and his gills don't close completely
What percentage of water did you change? about 60%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? dip, i ordered a gravel siphon though
What additives do you use? water conditioner is all. i used bio start once

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? again, unsure if he's actually sick. but he just seems pale, and his gills don't close completely
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? i got him 4 days ago, he was super stressed on the first day and hid all the time, but he was so active today.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? interacts with me more! and his fins are more spread out
Is your Betta still eating? YES. he's always begging and looking for food
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? no I haven't
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? when i picked him up from the pet store his fins were torn because of this horrible plastic plant in his tiny tank
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? 4 days. and yes i guess

i want to include photos, how do i do that?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered a sponge baffle so I turned the filter off for the mean time because Delta HATES it. Instead I'm changing the water every 3-4 days, and Delta is super active.
Attached are pictures. As you can see, his fins are torn from the plastic plant at the store, but what I'm worried about are any potential hazards like his gills. Was just anxious if he seems okay. His stress stripes are also fading!

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts