Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a heads up from what I've noticed from my male betta, its that after I cleaned the glass of the tank, that when night time kicked in and no other light is on besides the tank light, it makes the glass inside the tank seem almost like a mirror, enough for even the betta to notice. The biggest clue was when the betta was flaring up both it's fins and gill covers to where it look like it was about to attack. Making sure he didn't attack or blow a gasket, I put a hand in front of him and that calmed him down enough and turned off the light so that the glass would no longer reflect. So I thought I give you a fair warning in case you keep your tank light on through out the night.
Might want to take the same precaution with female bettas.

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
That's very observant, LTA. And the right way to rectify the problem.

Betta, like most of us, have a circadian rhythm and like 8 hours of total darkness. Many of us cover our tanks at night to ensure this..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah now not only does he come up to say hi, sometimes he follows me around a bit. Anyway I've just posted his picture, and sorry for the blurry picture, my hand tends to shake and I'm still trying to figure out my camera.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I noticed that with my male too, he doesn't even flare normally, but I noticed him flaring at all the tank walls when I turned my light off. It's definitely good to turn their lights off at night so they can rest :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts