Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I just wanted to alert people about this poisonous aquarium ornament that I purchased from Walmart about a week ago. I got it because I thought my betta would love an extra place to explore and swim through in his 10 gallon. I got it from Walmart and smelled it before I bought it and it did not smell like paint or chemicals. I placed it in his tank and made a note to moniter it to make sure it didn't go bad. Well about 3 or 4 days ago, I discovered my betta had slight fin rot so I moved him to a hospital tank. Since then, I've just let the water in the 10 gallon tank sit (it's not cycled so it wasn't worth keeping the filter on) and just now had my boyfriend come over and help me lift the tank and clean it out. I took everything out and while I was cleaning the tank, I asked him to smell the ornament to see if it smelled like chemicals or wet paint. He confirmed that it definitely did, and I smelled it and I've never smelled an ornament with such a strong chemical odor. It was enough to make me cough. I threw it out, but when I was filling up with gravel, I noticed that the smell had seeped into the tank and the whole tank smelled like wet paint. I have decided to let the tank and all the other ornaments air out overnight and see if that helps the odor. Hopefully my tank won't be ruined because of the cheap Walmart ornament. Glad I got my betta out of there before it poisoned the tank too badly. Beware of this Walmart ornament!!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I'm so sorry your new ornament had to be thrown away! I hope your fishy will recover from that fin rot. Did you wash that ornament before you put it in the tank? (With just water, of course) Maby that should've helped you figure out it was poisonous before you put it in the tank.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did wash it, but didn't think to re-smell it. I will next time though, thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,700 Posts
I've never found ornaments to actually be poisonous even if they smell. I'm not so overly cautious as others are so I don't mind the chance but just letting everyone (not just you) know that just because it smells, doesn't necessarily mean it's poisonous. If you still want to throw it away, that's perfectly fine by me, just giving my two cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
I have the one that's kust like that almost from Walmart .i think it has Poseidon but I forget because I stuffed it in a drawer and never actually used it lmao. Now I will have to reconsider
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,671 Posts
Don't think that was the problem.. fin rot is due from bacteria in the tank and damage fins - bacteria will set in the fin area that is damaged. By letting it sit in a used tank with no filter going, it will smell pretty bad. What you probably smelled at the store may of been the newness of the plastic. Or since you said it was really strong it could of been an unfortunate fluke of having excess chemicals on it :( But generally you aren't going to find a mass produced ornament like that deadly, it would of been removed. Usually you will find that smell on new ornaments and it takes a bit before the smell goes away. Sorry you had issues with it :(
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top