Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Newest update...lil baby squirt's colors are starting to develop!! He is a hungry lil sucker and his diet includes: Crushed baby shrimp, micro-pellets and crushed bloodworms!! I changed his water yesterday and later in the evening he started becoming darker/bluer. Over the weekend I will be updating all of my tanks with some new silk plants I bought yesterday...all 8 of my fish will have an update over the weekend!! :)

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Pretty! My girl did that over 3 das from bland with blue fins to blue body

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
He had a green sheen to him when the light hit him when I first saw him at the store...then he was kinda blah in color for a few weeks then BAM!! Dark Royal blue...even though I really wanted a green boy, he's too cute...I will take blue ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Sad to say this is the end of this post. Squirt was getting bigger, very active and a very healthy... but he managed to leap out of the opening of his tank and died on the carpet. Needless to say, this makes me very sad. RIP Squirt.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I am very excited to raise my first baby fry!! I named him "Lil Squirt" and I am guessing he was about 2-3 weeks old when I bought him. I hope he grows up to be beautiful...enjoy watching him grow like I have been!!

(These pictures are from the first day I picked him up!!)
Stumbled across this thread and just wan to let you know there is no way you got him 2-3 weeks old. More like 2-3 months old.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Oh no!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Stumbled across this thread and just wan to let you know there is no way you got him 2-3 weeks old. More like 2-3 months old.
Umm thanks? He was 3/4 inch and I thought he was younger then 2-3 months. Thanks for the "constructive critism"...that's going to do me a lot of good.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Really cute! Only thing is that you shouldn't be giving him bloodworms often as it should only be used as a occasional treat

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
His food mix was 85% micro pellets, 15% crushed bloodworms...he wouldn't eat the micro pellets so I had to sneak the bloodworms in there to trick him. Unfortunately baby betta jumped out of his tank and died :( he would always jump at meal time...and I think he was hungry. He was very healthy and active...it was a sad sad accident. It bums me out because his brand new fish tank is supposed to arrive tomorrow!! GRR!!!

(The last photos I took of the lil guy!!)

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
Oh I'm so sorry to hear about that :( I'm guessing the tank he was in didn't have a lid?

I had troubles with my betta not eating pellets and only eating bloodworms, I fasted him for about a week and he started eating pellets while he gets 1-2 bloodworms a week as a treat

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Oh I'm so sorry to hear about that :( I'm guessing the tank he was in didn't have a lid?

I had troubles with my betta not eating pellets and only eating bloodworms, I fasted him for about a week and he started eating pellets while he gets 1-2 bloodworms a week as a treat
Yep...he had a 1 gallon tank (a starter tank) that had a pretty big opening on the lid of the tank. Which was half the reason why I wanted to upgrade his tank...go figure, I was 5 days too late.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Awww lame :( I wasn't expecting him to pass so early. Unfortunately bettas are crazy jumpers and can get out of any little gap, SIP Squirt <3
Lesson learned!! He was growing so well too (at least I thought)...these pictures are from his first day, mid-way and the day when he jumped out of his stinkin tank!! Poor lil guy...he was really fun to have too.

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
Lesson learned!! He was growing so well too (at least I thought)...these pictures are from his first day, mid-way and the day when he jumped out of his stinkin tank!! Poor lil guy...he was really fun to have too.
I know it's super early but do you plan to get another baby betta in his stead? I always feel bad for the little guys when I see them, they're so tiny and normally go to terrible homes with kids who put them in like .5 gallon or less bowls :(

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
I know it's super early but do you plan to get another baby betta in his stead? I always feel bad for the little guys when I see them, they're so tiny and normally go to terrible homes with kids who put them in like .5 gallon or less bowls :(
I just start them off in 1 gallon tanks until they feel comfortable in their surroundings...then (like I planned) I was going to put him in a bigger tank so he could really grow! I just never took into account that he would swan dive out of his tank to the carpet lol. To answer your question on if I am going to get another fish...not right away, I'll probably just stick to my 6 happy/healthy ones that I have now. I will for sure in the future though!! At my house I have like five 1-gallon tanks that I wanna just throw away. (They were my starter tanks because in the begining I had zero idea on what I was doing with bettas!) I don't even wanna give them away...because they are cruel little tanks!! My 3 original fish from November 2015 (still alive and kickin!) I had in that betta falls fish tank...with no heater...ugh, I feel bad at how I treated them (I thought I was doing everything right) now that I have done TONS of reaserch on Bettas...but I am happy to say that those 3 are my most healthy fish that I own!!

(Scarlet Fever (red), Buddy (pink) and Grumpy Pants(blue))

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
I just start them off in 1 gallon tanks until they feel comfortable in their surroundings...then (like I planned) I was going to put him in a bigger tank so he could really grow! I just never took into account that he would swan dive out of his tank to the carpet lol. To answer your question on if I am going to get another fish...not right away, I'll probably just stick to my 6 happy/healthy ones that I have now. I will for sure in the future though!! At my house I have like five 1-gallon tanks that I wanna just throw away. (They were my starter tanks because in the begining I had zero idea on what I was doing with bettas!) I don't even wanna give them away...because they are cruel little tanks!! My 3 original fish from November 2015 (still alive and kickin!) I had in that betta falls fish tank...with no heater...ugh, I feel bad at how I treated them (I thought I was doing everything right) now that I have done TONS of reaserch on Bettas...but I am happy to say that those 3 are my most healthy fish that I own!!

(Scarlet Fever (red), Buddy (pink) and Grumpy Pants(blue))
Ugh that waterfall tank is so atrocious! my LFS has it set up on display with 3 bettas in it and my parents told me I should get one cause it's "so cool" :roll: I would keep the one gallons in case of an emergency though! Might make okay QT or hospital tanks, you never know!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
It's a horrible invention!! You can't put heaters in them...the filter is WAY to strong for bettas and there is next to ZERO room for them to swim!! I am almost ashamed that I once was proud of that stupid tank!! Yeah I am keeping 2 of the newer 1 gallon tanks for back ups and QT tanks but that's it...for sure!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
I guess next time if you have a betta in a tank that doesn't have a lid, either put mesh over top or lower the water

21 - 40 of 46 Posts